Automatic tool height

It seems it would be easy to incorporate an auto Z height function. Have a fixed height aluminum or brass plate connected to one input on the Arduino that could be held over the router hole and have the Z come down until it touches and subtract the plate height.

2 Likes

Fairly new here and waiting for the February shipmentā€¦

But what are we trying to solve?

Increase accuracy? Help with calibration?

Sorry for the questions, but Iā€™m trying to understand :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi,
Setting Z=0 is the task here. Other CNC platforms have a ā€˜probe functionā€™, a simple electrical circuit that is closed by touching a conductive material. XYZ CNC auto probing gcode calibration plate GRBL UGS

Your manual option is to slowly bring the spinning bit down until you start cutting a minimal fraction of your workpiece.

1 Like

I have great news! This feature is already supported :grin:

I think it uses Aux port #1 but I could be wrong about that

3 Likes

@Gero

Would this help me utilize boards that is not full size? :thinking:

Thanks Bar, I will give it try this week.

I thought Aux 1 was for spindle on/off? My wiring diagram say that the Z-probe is on Aux 4.

I havenā€™t implemented this feature yet myself, maybe @blurfl can add more to this? I believe he has used this feature before.

1 Like

I know I saw a post with pictures of this. Can anyone point to that post please?

Thank you

I know, I thought I had seen it myself, but I did forum searches for ā€œZ probeā€ ā€œZero Z-Axisā€ and ā€œG38.2ā€ and only got a handful of posts. I am interested in doing this myself when I do my electronics upgrade, so I would also greatly appreciate more info.

Maybe someone who has used this could do a quick write-up in the wiki?

2 Likes

If someone finds the post I was going to piont to it from the Wiki.

Thank you

1 Like

This link?

3 Likes

Cannot like this enough, that is exactly what I was looking for! The weird thing is that the forum search for G38.2 should have grabbed that. Itā€™s in blurflā€™s post like seven times!

Thanks so much!

EDIT: Weird side note, I went to go look on the old forums too to find that they arenā€™t active anymore :open_mouth: I know it doesnā€™t make sense to continue to pay for a forum we donā€™t use, but I hope we got all the important information off there before the subscription expired.

1 Like

Good find - Tkx

New page in the Wiki-

I need to find the spindle on/off to add to this.

Iā€™m doing as usual 4 things at once. 5 when you add this. making a website, working on Maslow docs/ computer stuff, reaching out to a parts MFG. Sheesh :wink:

Thank you

I believe this thread is the one youā€™re looking for:

I know the feeling, Iā€™m getting remakes sent down to the mill as Iā€™m writing these! XD

1 Like

Iā€™m looking at setting up discourse on another site and backing up these forums -FYI

let the fun begin.

Thank you

2 Likes

Yep - that was it - added to the Wiki - Enjoy

Thank you

@Bee

The secret trick is google :wink:

searching like this got the right post

site:https://forums.maslowcnc.com probe

3 Likes

I understand - however too many open windows right now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Splaxi . I appreciate your help.

Thank you

No probs. Trying to help where I can. No wiz with tools and stuff, but IT - thatā€™s my ballpark :grin:

3 Likes

For those using the Ridgid router with the stock z-axis, you might be interested to know that the collet is electrically connected to the z-axis motor housing, thus providing a super simple connection point for an automatic z-axis zeroing setup. No clipping to the bit necessary! (unless, of course, your bit is somehow not electrically conductive)

2 Likes