Let's make v1.09 the most stable release yet

@dschultz18 and @Gero

Help me understand better. So after extending the chains you are not very close to the center?

When clicking ‘next’ after extending the chains the sled should move to the center automatically…is this not true?

I can think of two solutions:

1. We should ask the user for the rotation radius before this step
  2. There should be a button to move the sled to the center instead of doing it automatically when you press next.

Yes, the test cuts will refine the measurements so you should end up right in the center.

After extending the chains and mounting the sled, I am close to the centre. Clicking ‘Next’ moves the sled way to low to continue with the test-cuts.

1 Like

Ok, got it. I think what’s going on is that the default rotation radius is used at that point.

I need to move the step where it asks for a guess about the rotation radius to before it tries to go to the center.

If you keep going with the calibration is it OK? It should ask you for a rotation radius guess and then use that guess when cutting the test pattern so it should not be off the edges.

1 Like

Mine was the old quad setup with the brackets. It asked for a measurement between the brackets. The sled moves up after I hit next just not far enough.

2 Likes

I think it would be better to have the user move the sled to the center. If we
do that, we should be able to eliminate asking them to measure the distance from
the top of the workpiece to the top cut, and having to enter the diameter of the
bit.

If you guys go the way of having the user move the sled to the center (which I think is a great idea :slight_smile: ); might I suggest the you suggest to the user at some point in the calibration process, probably just before you attach the sled to the chains, that they mark “the center” (simple dot with a Sharpie) so that it is easy to find when moving the sled manually.

3 Likes

I also agree that you need to mark the center but they would also need to have either a small bit or a center finder to align the center with the router

I suggest corner to corner intersecting lines. X marks the spot. Geometry 101.

Thank you

1 Like

corner to corner, center finders, etc are all over estimating the accuracy of
the material in question. different sheets of plywood vary slightly in size, adn
the only thing that being off will do is affect where the borders are (as long
as the move-to-center does not allow you to shift left or right, only up and
down.

1 Like

All of this may be true but the request was to consider calibrating by moving to the center of the sheet. I was suggesting a standard by which it is located. I had suggested chalk lines as a marking systems before I think I will add that to my Maslow now.

Thank you

1. Drill a hole in the centre of the sheet (diameter to hook the chain).
  2. Put the left chain over the motor sprockets, click “Pull Tight”
  3. Hook the left chain to the drilled hole, click “Pull Tight”
    Width, height and X0/Y0 are calculated. Calibration done.
    If the sled is not in the middle, tweak rotation radius, chain sag etc.
2 Likes

This is the problem I encountered as well. I clicked ‘Next’ and the chains extended so the sled was sitting on the floor. Not sure if this was a location issue or if it was putting the sled down on the ground so I could do the Z-axis zeroing (next step).

The other issue I ran into was inputting the vertical distance from the top of panel (I like just asking for the measurement). I clicked the inches unit, typed in my inches (something like 26.5 inches), but in the summary screen after it said 26.5 mm. Didn’t know if it converted or wasn’t establishing the difference between the units.

3 Likes

I went back to the calibration today. I started by wiping the EEPROM, reloading the Firmware and the calibration was successful, and I cut the sample I was after.

Input the vertical distance in metric and forced myself away from my FPS world view.

5 Likes

Mine did this also. I tried multiple times to get imperial to show. It would not so to avoid trouble I converted that number to mm and input that number.

2 Likes

Since this Imperial conversion seems to be a replicable bug, would you please open an issue on

?
Edit: add -> please

4 Likes

I believe this issue is fixed in 1.10, but only by removing the inches option which did not work.

Having an inches option is still a good idea and worth having an issue open for.

2 Likes