How Do I Install? Raspberry Pi Image for WebControl

Interesting, I can’t access port 5001, but I do see those features in WebControl. ie, reset, diagnostics etc.

WebMCP was a completely different page from a different service running on the pi. some of the functionality was added to webcontrol for easier management since we don’t use the docker, but it is no longer used.

So, considering I have a brand new machine, does WebControl install the firmware to the Arduino?

I see the buttons for update firmware, assuming it should perform the Arduino install.

Yes, that button will flash the firmware to the Arduino (actually tested that yesterday). @madgrizzle bundles the latest firmwares with each Webcontrol release.

1 Like

Great, I’m going to install the Holey version right off the bat.

FYI, I too am in Canada (BC), I’m probably going to buy that RIGID kit even with the plunge base. I have an idea for the Z-axis using that base. Basically, remove the spring in that base and add a meticulous z-axis, hoping it will add even more rigidity.

How long does flashing take? Mines been going on for 30 minutes now.

Should only take less than a minute, something probably went wrong… Maybe try it again?

Well, I already have a Makita trim router, so I’m using what I already have. If I change it (probably will at some point, because I can’t control its speed), it’ll be for a proper spindle with speed control, hence the C-channel Z-axis.

Good point. I’ve been researching good options for spindles as well, though they add more complexity than I want right now.

Does WC have functionality to control the spindle speed?

This functionality needs to be in firmware (it’s controlled through G-code commands), there’s discussion around it here: Colaboration request to add spindle speed via g-code in FW/GC

Even if it can’t be controlled via CAM, having a knob that you can turn to adjust speed can be very useful for “auditory” adjustment. The spindles I’ve looked at on Aliexpress all came with a potentiometer to do that.

There’s some tweaking that needs to be done with this with regards to errors. Please make sure you have the port selected (Settings->Maslow Settings->Serial Connection). If using rpi, likely will be ttyACM0.

Thank you :pray: Thank you! THANK YOU!!!

This got me motivated to finish my Maslow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: My frame has been sitting on the back porch for a year with no electronics because I couldn’t get Ground Control installed on my Linux laptop at the time. I was initially really excited for WebControl but never found the motivation to get started again.

This image was amazingly easy to install!! :raised_hands:

Now on to the big task of calibration :sweat_smile::grimacing:

2 Likes

This is wonderful, and great timing as I’m just setting up my Maslow now. I prefer Docker personally, so I fixed the containers here. Hope it helps someone.

If you liked OctoPi/OctoPrint then you should really like CNCjs( https://cnc.js.org/ ). I use it with my small CNC and it works great on a little rPi 3B+ connected to the Arduino Nano running GRBL.

FWIW, I use Kiri:Moto for toolpath generation.

1 Like

Maybe this is listed elsewhere, but I’m having a hard time finding it. With what models of Pi is the image compatible?

When I’m looking at buying a Pi I get a warning that “Pi 4B boards have a new processor. Previous operating system images that ran on a previous board will not run on the new processor”. Is that going to be an issue here?

I’ve tested this on a Pi 3; I don’t have a Pi 4 available to test, so I can’t say for 100% sure.

However, this is built upon Octoprint’s work, and they support all Raspberry Pi variants (see here), so it should work fine on a Pi 4. If it doesn’t work on a Pi4, let me know and I’ll fix it. Also let me know if it works out of the box.

3 Likes

Thanks. Ordering now!

Would the pie 3a be suitable for webcontrol?

What’s the difference with the 3B? Is it just the smaller form factor? In any case, see my other response; I don’t see why it wouldn’t work.

Edit, I was incorrect. The a+ and b+ have the same processor but the b+ has double the ram.