Star wars signs from the holidays

After cutting a lot of functional (but boring) boxes and templates for my stone and cabinet shop, I finally made some aesthetic pieces.

I got the images from an artist I saw on imgur, Liam Ashurst (https://www.instagram.com/liamashurst/)

I had to turn them into vectors and clean up some of the text- it was my first time playing with the decorative side of my cnc. Also my first project cut into rigid foam- had to play around with spindle speeds, and stepover on the bits since the foam “flexed” out of the way so much (60% was the max without doing a ton of clean up).

After that I made scenic dope to cover the signs and help with sanding and finishing. I used it over the whole of one sign, and then painted it after sanding. I made one to completion and gave my sister and her boyfriend instructions and free use of my shop to do the rest however they like.

Turned out pretty good- my ulterior motive was to get some experience so I can draw up and carve decorative panels for my soon to be son’s nursery. I like the idea of coated foam better than painting a wall, so I’ll post that when i get it done.

12 Likes

Those look great! SOOOOOO because I’m a nerd, I wonder how it would look to take a thin piece of acrylic and stick it into the edge of the sign where the light saber top is… Couple of green, blue, or red LED’s edge lighting the acrylic?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

1 Like