Fully Calibrated but Oblong Circles

Regarding the manual measurement of the motor spacing, since I am presently in Limbo, I checked the distance from the gearbox casing to the center of the drive-shaft…

IMG_9912

I am getting 27/32" or .84375"… x2 = 1.6875", or 42.8625 mm

This makes my motor spacing now 3043.5495.

With the Maslow measurement of 3001.8, the error has dropped to 1.7495 mm for the left chain, and 6.3995 mm for the right chain,

2 Likes

you want to measure under tension to be testing apples to apples, the system
should be able to sustain the tension for days without problems.

The sled was in place when I did the measurement.

Thanks!

Question about your measurement of 42.86mm. So I using the drawing found from vendor, I previously calculated this number as (11.15 + 9.05) * 2 = 40.4 Which is a bit off from your number. I haven’t actually measured mine, but how confident are you with your number? I will measure mine tonight.

https://etonm.en.alibaba.com/product/60665360361-803643106/ET_WGM58AE_with_7PPR_encoder_12v_20_6rpm_30kg_cm_CNC_Machine_dc_electric_motor.html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.PlKjgw

Hi LakeWorthB!

At this point I am pretty paranoid about all measurements. I am operating out of boxes in my shop, as I hope to build some cabinets using the Maslow, but I found my caliper measuring tool yesterday, which is pretty accurate. What you see is what I did with it, first clamping a flat piece of plywood to the outside edge of the gearbox to anchor one side. I repeated the measurement on the other side, with the same result. The challenge is trusting the eyeball… I looked around for the source of the 40.4 measurement on the forum, couldn’t find it, so I measured it. If I had found your post with the part diagram, I would have gone with the 40.4 value. Now that I have seen it, I have gone back and checked… First I plugged the measurement from the drawing into my caliper… 20.2 mm = 51/64"…

During the process, I noticed there is a center mark on the spindle… I remeasured to that mark…

So, my initial measurement was off… It is 13/16", or 20.6375 mm. So, measuring outside of motor to outside of motor, the correction for me will be -41.27 mm

I do take this stuff seriously… I apologize for the error. Sadly, it won’t be my last.

3 Likes

And we all benefit and appreciate it!

I’m still tracking down what’s going on with the chain distance measurements, I know what’s happening, but not why yet

3 Likes

Alright, just last night I was able finally button up all the changes I needed to make to my Maslow. I adjusted the CoG on the sled, I changed the tensioning system and got new stretchy string, beefed up my top beam, raised my motors up another 1.5 inches, and got all updated to 1.15.

We all know I had some issues with out of round circles and my first test cut after only 1 calibration finally came out ROUND! I didn’t even adjust the chain pitch tolerance yet or put my new ring sled on the machine. I wanted to prove to myself that it was an issue with my build.

I am working on a little project right now that I hope I have the time to cut this weekend and then I’ll post it. Just wanted to say thank you everyone for the help!

7 Likes

I don’t know if this will be any help to anyone, but I just put this on thingiverse based off roselea’s design. I moved the holes, redid the sprocket hole so on my printer with no scaling it fits the sprocket perfectly with 0 play, and added a slot for a tape measure to sit in, slightly offset so that the inner side of the L thingy on the tape will be perfectly centered on the spindle. I was having a hell of a time measuring my motor distance on a 12’ beam that is really high!

Should really help measure motor distance accuretly. I am printing 2 so i can measure to the slot on the other end too, so long as i turn the second print 180 degrees before putting it on the sprocket, it should be 100% accurate. Shame my eyes not that accurate :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Awesome! I have been using a framing square, this will help a ton! Thanks!