Throwing my hat in the sled modification ring

IT LIVES!

So I made a mistake in measuring the router clearance, so sadly it won’t fit back in there without making some modification. The spacer blocks could also be nicer. It also has a few other issues that I need to fix, but I think all of these issues are easy to solve.

It seems to work really well. Here is a video of it sliding from the center to the side:

That black line was a prior test. It is extremely smooth, no evidence of any sticking. The line is extremely straight (the tape isn’t).

Here is a video attempting to show that it pivots around a central point when the sled is rotated:

Finally here is a video showing how easy it is to move the pantographs:

The construction was relatively easy. All of the plywood is stapled together. All of the bearing surfaces are nothing more than wood on threaded screws. Some of the joints are even tighter than necessary. But even with all those sources of friction, it still moves very easily.

Because of this simple design there is no detectable slop in the system.

My main concern, is that while this was easy for me to construct, I used a table saw, miter saw, and drill press to get the accuracy needed.

Anyways, I am going to spend some more time playing with it tonight. Hopefully I can implement the fixes tomorrow and get the router back on there.

13 Likes