Couple of quick frame questions

So, I wasn’t expecting to get my Maslow quite so fast lol. Ordered it Thursday and got it in today. Thought I’d have more time to research and decide on my frame design and such. That said, sorry if any of this has been asked and answered before.

First question is, what is the max height / width I could go with the motors with the included chains in the kit? I’m pretty sure I want to go wider, and possibly taller than the default frame to try and get more accuracy in the lower corners. But trying to figure out if I need to order longer chains or not. The biggest restriction I might have is height. I haven’t even looked at the default design yet to see how tall it is. But I’m limited to 8 feet 6 inches in my garage (ceiling is actually at 8 feet 9 inches but figured I don’t want it touching the ceiling haha). The spot I’d like to put it (depending on the next questions answer) is up to 12 feet wide.

Second, what I was thinking with my frame and I don’t know if anyone has done this, is to mount it on a wall with a hinge. So that when I"m not using it, I can remove a bar or something and have it fold flat against the wall out of the way as much as possible. This would also allow me to adjust the angle potentially for different types of jobs. If I have a lot of holes for example, I could lift it higher so more weight is keeping the sled from lifting. If I’m doing a lot of vertical cutting on the other hand, I could let it hang closer to vertical to keep most of the weight on the chains pulling downward. Has anyone done something like this? Does it even seem feasible?

Last question for now, I’ve mostly only seen pictures of people using a piece of plywood for a spoilerboard. Is there a problem with using something like a piece of foam board or something like that? Is it just cause the plywood is needed to add rigidity?

Thanks!

First question is, what is the max height / width I could go with the motors with the included chains in the kit?

stock, everything in the maslow kit is ‘just good enough’ to keep costs down. To
go higher and wider you willneed more chain.

look at the spreadsheet and enter the different numbers to see what you will get

Second, what I was thinking with my frame and I don’t know if anyone has done
this, is to mount it on a wall with a hinge.

A number of people have done this, it works wwell.

Last question for now, I’ve mostly only seen pictures of people using a piece
of plywood for a spoilerboard. Is there a problem with using something like a
piece of foam board or something like that? Is it just cause the plywood is
needed to add rigidity?

quite a few people are using foam, with the original frame design, plywood was
part of the structure of the frame, but with the current design it’s not, so you
can use a sheet of foam.

What spreadsheet would that be? I took a quick glance over the assembly guide and didn’t see any spreadsheet referenced there.

hmmm, copy and paste the wrong link? hehe

Unless I’m blind, I don’t see anything in that thread pertaining to a spreadsheet or a frame.

yep, make a copy of this

1 Like