Maslow frame, with storage shelves

Hello!

Built angled storage shelf couple years ago for infrequently accessed stuff. Intentionally dimensioned and angled front face similar to a decently propped ladder. Partially designed with Maslow in mind. I literally climb up the shelves like a ladder to access high up stuff. Using deeper shelves on the bottom for heavier stuff. 2’ space underneath for taller tools and materials.

Chose shelve depth increments at the time that made the math and cuts from minimum 4’x8’ sheets easy for me to figure out. However… That resulted in front being angled 77deg. Is that enough for Maslow to function, or will this steep angle significantly impact feedrates/accuracy/something?

Would need to add tarp(s) to reduce dust/chips going into the bays, add horizontal rails, and additional bracing to provide stiff support for belt mounts, etc… Would you suggest modding this to work, or starting over?

Cheers!

2 Likes

with the original 2 motor maslow, 77 degrees instead of 75 degrees should be
just fine.

We know that at 70 degrees it doesn’t work, and at 85 degrees it doesn’t work,
we don’t have a lot of results between that, but 2 degrees should not matter.

The thing to watch out for going closer to vertical is if you start having
problem plunging into the workpiece (i.e. the sled lifts from the workpiece
instead of the but cutting into the workpiece). This can also be caused by a
dull bit, or a bit that doesn’t cut well all the way to the center.

David Lang

2 Likes

The shelving is pretty cool. I’ll agree with dlang on the angles probably working. If you put a spoil board over th front of the cabinet and attached a top beam with an appropriate spacing out for the chain offset from the spoil board, you should be good to go. You might consider hinging the spoil board though, so you can get to the stuff behind. My whole system is hinged to park a car under it. I’m not seeing how you will access everything though without removing the spoil board and that would be a problem if you have limited configuration time between use cycles.

3 Likes

Cheers for the info and ideas guys. If I clean up, I might have enough room to slide spoil board sideways to access bays behind. I only need to access one bay at a time, so it’s ok if spoil board covers one half at any given time. Otherwise a propped up swinging human sized mouse trap like contraption might be the way to go :slight_smile:

Will try out some things, but first use will likely be horizontal on garage/shop floor.

Just ordered Maslow 4 #10046, happy to pack Maslow boxes and pickup if that saves times, and get a discount even :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I want one too, but have not ordered one yet.

1 Like

[quote=“dlang, post:2, topic:19879”]
77 degrees instead of 75 degrees should be
just fine.
[/quote
I thought.the frame should 15 - 20 degrees am I missing something?
G

2 Likes

Maslow4 is even less angle sensitive than the original Maslow so 15-20 degrees is great…since it works fully horizontal there isn’t even a 20 degree limit, you can go all the way to 90

1 Like

15 degrees from vertical, 20 degrees is too much

vertical is 90 degrees from the floow, - 15 degrees makes the maslow 75 degrees
from the floor

David Lang

1 Like

Ok got it, got confused between the original which @dlang was talking about and the M4 that I was talking about, sorry for the confusion
Thanks again.
G

2 Likes