Maslow Pipe Dreams

Yeah, a specialized version of the technology would be better… lose the tape and lose the lcd screen to bring the cost down. On the other hand, using an Origin would mean you could take it off the Maslow for one-off projects or portability. I imagine it could be a problem getting 2 different CNC systems to run the same ‘toolpath’ simultaneously in that scenario. I think the origin just adapts to the movement of the device, so might not be an issue.

Yeah, good point - pop it off to use it “handheld” would be great.

At first I think “but for that price I could buy a shopbot or something :slight_smile:” (the price of a Maslow and Origin), but if I did, I still wouldn’t have the versatility.

Yeah, that concept would make the tape a little easier to swallow… Especially if enough tape could be permanently attached to the maslow frame edges to make it work without replacing all the time.

If you know a way to get a 4x8 shopbot for the same price as a maslow and an origin, please share it! My handibot alone cost more than that combination…

From what I’ve seen I don’t think the field of view of an Origin would let you put the tape on the edges.

Well, I was exaggerating a bit there, sorry :slight_smile: A Shopbot, nope… although there are some “do it yourself” designs floating around that look like I might could build for about a Maslow and Origin price. Probably not Shopbot quality then…

1 Like

A Maslow with a turbo venturi air flow system, attached to the extract hose, providing lift to the sled essentially like an inverted air hockey table. Thereby mitigating sled drag.

3 Likes

Does anyone else wax their sled? I wax the underside of mine, like I do most of the cast iron in my shop like my table saw and band saw, and doing so I haven’t noticed any negative affects of sled drag, It glides very smoothly along the cutting surface.

5 Likes

Isnt Goliath CNC basically a combination of the two systems or at least sits somewhere in the middle. https://youtu.be/xUpYjzLsSuA

Briwax furniture polish, ideally with toluene in, because it smells nicer.

Wow, that one passed me by. Quite a cool little robot, and yes, seems to draw on both Maslow and ShaperOrigin strategies. Looks good, but I’d like to see it doing complex stuff and not running into sawdust issues. But prolly nothing that can be solved with a bit of airflow.
I looked up thier Kickstarter and it looks like Aug 2018 for first release. And the retail price is not too far shy of $3k, so it’s not very price competitive with the Maslow. If I decide to make me a new snowboard I’m convinced the Maslow is going to be perfectly adequate.