R22002 Maximum Length of Router Bit

For a standard setup with a R22002 router, does anyone already know what the maximum length of the router bit can be and still be able to go from the safety position at 0.25 inches above surface and still travel far enough down to cut through 3/4-inch plywood? 2-inch bits obviously work but I know there has to be an upper limit without adding spacers between the router and the sled. I’m trying to find a reasonably priced 1/2-inch bit to do drill some holes and they are coming in at 3-inches in length and I don’t know if this will cause an issue.

2 Likes

@madgrizzle

I’ll need this for the Wiki. I’m eagerly following along. I could do some experiments next week. I’m going traveling today.

Thank you

Is there a reason you are averse to using an endmill to cut your holes? Unless you are planning to drill through metal, I’d think that an endmill would leave you with a nicer finished product without having to find a stubby 1/2" bit.

1 Like

I’m not adverse to anything that will work and is safe to use. But I haven’t really found anything suitable that is 1/2-inch cutting diameter that is 2-inches long.

Best I’ve been able to find ss:

Kodiak Cutting Tools KODIAK130513 USA Made Solid Carbide End Mill, Single End, 2 Flute, 1/2" Shank, 5/8" Length of Cut, 2-1/2" Overall Length, 1/2" Diameter

Think this will work to cut out some holes? I assume 2.5-inch will work…

that would probably work fine, but I would suggest just using a 1/4" end mill and cutting your holes as if they were pockets. Unless you are looking to only have to specify center points, this will likely be easier to implement, especially if there are any other cuts going on that will require a smaller bit. The 1/4" diameter end mill can spiral through the plywood and produce your 1/2" hole and go on to cut other pockets or patterns without the need for a tool change.

I fear I may be missing something in what you are trying to accomplish, though. So hopefully I am not steering you wrong.

2 Likes

I thought about just sticking with the 1/4-inch bit, but knew that I’d get a more accurate result if I used a 1/2-inch bit to make a 1/2-inch hole… my last experience with drill holes produced bad ovals, but I haven’t really tried lately after getting the machine better calibrated. I’ve got about 60 holes to drill for 1/2-inch wooden dowels. I guess I could do some test holes with the 1/4-inch bit and see how they turn out, no harm in that… thanks for keeping me grounded :slight_smile:

Regardless, still would be nice to know how long of a bit will fit.

cutting 1/2" holes with a 1/4" bit is much slower than with a 1/2" bit.
especially if you have a lot of them

No argument on that

Yeah, for an exact fit, the 1/2" bit might be a good choice, but if you are calibrated to 0.5mm over most of your work area (I haven’t finished my build yet, so I am not sure how achievable this is) then the slop should be minimal. And 60 holes is a lot, so likely worth a tool change to minimize run time for those holes. My advice for pocketing was predicated on just having a couple of holes within an overall design, as well as minimizing special tooling (and cost). But certainly, if all, or even a lot, of what you are doing is drilling 1/2" holes, use a 1/2" bit.

1 Like

remember that you can add layers of plywood to the bottom of the sled to
accomodate the longer bits. I’s not as if we are trying to keep the sled light.

as long as you can adjust the motors out to handle the thickness thyis will not
hurt anything

2 Likes

For posterity’s sake, I’ll test both out and report back on my (in)accuracy.

2 Likes

The cabinet shop that we share space with uses these:

I’ve played around with a couple and they seem to work well

2 Likes

They have this funky and difficult to photograph tip which makes them “center cutting” meaning they can be plunged straight down into the wood. Some of the bits which look like that don’t have that feature and need to be ramped down into the wood which wouldn’t work for drilling

3 Likes

That’s what I was wondering about, whether you can use straight plunge bits. To experiment, I had bought some 1/8-inch straight plunge bit to see how fine of a detail I could cut. I was planning on taking it slow with them this weekend (small depth adjustments at low speed) so as to minimize the risk of breaking the bit.

I ended up ordering this for the 1/2-inch bit to try out (of course, someone will now tell me that it won’t work).

Those are 2&7/8-inch long. You had no problems with using them with the R22002 and the zaxis kit?

2 Likes

Yep, no issues with those :slight_smile:

2 Likes