Sled Weights - weight variations

Oh, I miss read the question. With 2 angled bricks of different weight you still can balance by pushing the heavier more in and the lighter more out.

You could always chip a bit off of the larger brick to get them closer in weight.

1 Like

Well, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from :wink: . And stocking of each seems to be iffy (and where they are located in Home Depot makes no sense):
Firebrick - Light weight, not in stock at HD, several weights/insulations
Red Brick, no holes - Located in Lawn and garden.
Red Brick, holes - Located in construction supplies
Concrete brick - Location determined by how “fancy” it is. Lots of different sizes…

1 Like

A chip off the old brick? Ducks

2 Likes

All of that goes on your permanent record…

1 Like

:slight_smile:
It’s so long nobody’ll notice

1 Like

Quack !..

Thank you

Just to confirm, in the triangular kinematics math does one even need to find the CoG of the sled? I believe that is the case meaning that it should be very forgiving, as you said.

1 Like

I don’t see the CoG value used in the triangular Kinematics calculations, so I think it’s not needed with the triangular linkages. I haven’t updated it for the recent triangular linkage sleds I’ve made, and I don’t think it has mattered.

3 Likes

This is correct, the sled CoG is not used in the triangular kinematics as it is assumed the linkage kit can correct for changes in orientation of the sled.

3 Likes

no, you do not need to find the CG of the sled as it was asked for previously

you should figure out where the CG of the sled along the Z axis is, and position
things so that the chains are at, or just above this leve.

1 Like

With a triangular linkage the chains should be above this level to help keep the linkage from rotating to its limits. The triangular linkages work best when they are not ‘against the stops’.

I am talking about in the Z direction, you are talking about in the x/y
direction. This gets confusing because Y is far more towards the sky than Z is.

1 Like

So if a person had some lead weight laying around and no bricks, would it be better to center the weight directly below the router? Or split it in two and spread it out like the bricks?

Some routers offer a dust collection port, if yours does then splitting the weight to leave access to the dust port makes sense.

That also depends on the mouing system. Guess you will have a ring?
I have crazy ideas sometimes and plan experimenting with a pendulum as long as I have space under the sheet. If I ever do it I will try fixed first and then free swinging.
As far as I remember there have been posts about spreading weight out evenly on the down half of the sled and it was not recommended.

My router doesn’t have any accommodation for dust collection. But that is a great consideration. Probably in the end I’ll 3d print some sort of cover and hose port. On the other hand a couple of bricks are a lot larger than a similar weight in lead.

1 Like

Boy, howdy! Having the weight in a smaller package is a good thing. Bricks are cheap, though, if you don’t have anything better :grin:

2 Likes

no need for anything fancy, with the triangular kinematics setups, the sled
rotating doesn’t affect accuracy, you just want the CG of the sled in the XY
plane.

2 Likes