One brick instead of two!?

why does the Maslow use two brinks evenly spaced? would it not be better to use one heavier brick in the center so that the sled always falls back to its respective Zero?

I ask because my sled is having some issues with “walking around” sticking and rotating slightly. my router is not exactly centred in the hole so if the sled ever rotates the bit wobbles back and forth by about 2mm. would using one brick help with this issue? or do you have any other ideas?

thanks

2 Likes

That is usually a sign that the sled is not balanced with the height of the ring. One brick is possible, but will not solve the issue. If your sled has more pressure on the top or the bottom, that side will drag behind on left/right moves.

4 Likes

I have also found that having something slick on the bottom of the sled (in my case UHMWPE pieces) all but eliminated the sticking and rotating.

That being said, two things,
one, yes, putting the weight right at the bottom might help, but
two, getting your router to be centered in the ring will be a better direction to put your efforts as getting it dead center completely removes the rotation issue from the equation.

2 Likes

I agree. I think one weight at 6 o’clock is better than 2 weights at 4 and 8 o’clock.
Lead ignots would be perfect and small since they are 44% more dense than steel. solid gold would work too, lol.

you might be better off taking the ring and the router off and rotating it a little and then remounting it so it is centered. A lot of work, but a lot better product.

The reason why we use two bricks evenly spaced is to allow the vacuum hose in between which will also help on keeping the sled from rotating. Ideally the weights should be as close to the bottom as possible to gain maximum leverage over the router bit torque.

Having the router bit dead center in relation to the ring is key for accuracy and reducing sled rotation.

Here is a template you can use to precisely center it. (made by blurf)

1 Like