Throwing my hat in the sled modification ring

with 3/4" wide bars and 6" between them when horizontal, the bars should clear each other (barely) when they get up to 80 degrees (which is what you should be hitting in the corner)

Mine did too, I’m going with the ring!

The 45˚ linkage version does not bind or collide anywhere on the workpiece and it allows clearance for z-axis control and dust collection.
I will be sending out a bunch of the kits this week so there should be more real-world data and feedback soon!

On that note, I think the ring solution is a stellar option if you have the resources!

2 Likes

I see you guys constantly going on about looking for stress calculators. Fusion 360 has stress simulation built into it from jump.

This is a seriously in depth AutoDesk webinar https://youtu.be/p6JBl4yuW08

1 Like

Only mine was colliding and binding. Yours look great and I favorited them on Etsy.

the second quote came back much cheaper (~200 instead of ~500 for 10 sets)

I’ll probably make the sets 30-40 and include the master links and bolts

3 Likes

if you are familiar with useing it, can you setup a test?

a F arrangement with the horizontal bars being 5.5 in between holes, and the
vertical bar 6" between the top holes and 3" to the bottom one

material is 3/16 thick, 3/4 wide

chain is pulling on the bottom of the F

Nice! (The host went to the University in my town!!)

I’ve placed my order. A couple suggestions for your Etsy listing. 1) Use the general https://www.maslowcnc.com as your link. Someone new to the Maslow probably wants to see what it is before diving into the hundreds of pages of forum posts; 2) Change “sex bolts” to “hex bolts”. Unless you really meant sex bolts, in which case I’m really looking forward to receiving my kit. (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

3 Likes

Thanks for the input! I’ll add the main link too. I actually meant to do that but I must have copied the wrong url, good catch. Annoyingly etsy does not allow actual hyper linking within listing descriptions…

I did mean sex bolts not hex bolts. It’s a special smooth shanked bolt with internal threads that is ideal for applications such as this. I realize that can be a confusing term. I’ll be re-writing that description soon anyway so I’ll try to find a better synonym (that’s why I also added “binding post”, which is sometimes what sex bolts are called.)

Thank you for ordering! Your order should be in the mail by the end of the week!!

EDIT: I changed the link and somewhat modified the sex bolt part. I’ll fix it for good with a different name when I’m not making edits on my phone from my bed :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t know what those things were called :slight_smile:

Wikipedia has a list of alternate names… maybe that will help:

A sex bolt, (also known as a barrel nut, barrel bolt, Chicago screw, post and screw or connector bolt), is a type of fastener (nut) which has a barrel-shaped flange and protruding boss that is internally threaded.

1 Like

Any updates while I’ve been in jetlag recovery?

I’ve gotten a couple other quotes, but one is in North Carolina, while I’m in
California. I haven’t been able to get them to give me shipping costs yet :frowning:
k

I finally put together some comprehensive (hopefully) instructions for assembling the linkage kits: Linkage Instructions

I’ll edit, add, and fix things as they come up. For those of you who are curious what the kit looks like there are detailed descriptions and pictures in that link.

Those of you who ordered a kit already, I hope to get most of them in the mail this week! Thank you for your patience and I’m sorry for the delay, the wood supplier I’ve used for the last 5 years was completely out of 1/4" baltic birch! This was the first time I’ve ever seen that happen, so I was a little unprepared. They should be re-stocked tomorrow.
-Logan

p.s. I GOT MY MASLOW (HUGE thanks to @bar and Hannah!) I’ve been up to my eyeballs with my job and just life in general so I don’t know how soon I’ll get it all together but I’m super excited to finally make things move! Thank you to everyone on this thread for supporting and encouraging me (and for telling me when I’m wrong!).

p.p.s. Aren’t Post Scripts a little silly in typed correspondance?

7 Likes

Looks awesome. You may want to add a section for the software settings.

If you can make that amazing a mod before even receiving a Maslow I wonder what’s going to happen next.

Guess I’m gonna have to make two sleds.

4 Likes

Yes. But silly is good.

3 Likes

Great discussion! Can’t wait to get my Etsy purchase! This has been a super informative thread. Thanks to everyone involved!

2 Likes

Well @pillageTHENburn , mine has arrived… looks top notch, thanks!

Hopefully I can get it together tonight or tomorrow.

(of course so far I’ve had a dead car battery that once replaced had the ABS system hosed, so that’s how the day is going so far…)

2 Likes

Bar, If you do get a kit together for the ring I would love to buy one.
Great work to all

2 Likes