Adjusting the top beam

I decided to look at 1/2 all thread. It is available in 6ft for $9. This requires cutting and running a die over the cuts to do it right. I found a 13 inch for ~$1.50 the entire thing as shown was $3.65.

Push Configuration -

Pull Configuration -

Push and Pull configuration.

Thank you

I’ve had success running a nut down the threaded rod before cutting, hacksaw cutting, filing the cut end and running the nut back off. As long as you file off all of the goobers and do a decent clean up of the end, the nut will back right off and chase out the little leftover bits just fine. No special tools needed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Threaded rod will work for linear motion, but will not be as smooth as a lead screw or for the ultimate in smooth operation a ball screw. That said, in keeping with the low cost, widely available materials approach of the Maslow I say give it a try.

@Bee have you tried it to see how much deflection that you get at the furthest extension that you would need? It would be interesting to see how well it works. I would think that you would get less deflection if you would put a spacer in so that you would have 3" of material that you would fit the rod through for a tighter fit.

He is looking to use it to make a top beam adjustable not linear motion.

Just an idea to create the offset needed for the motors. How about building a floating shelf. 2x4 for the framing and and then layer it with plywood. Glue and screw this should result in a shelf that could hold a ton of weight. I’m sorry I apparently have forgotten how to cad so here is a rough drawing in ost format (old school technique).

1 Like

So for me I’m using a wood top beam. I plan to test 4 of these “adjusters” 2 in the middle pushing out and one about 12 inches in on each end in a push, pull pattern to make a two 10 foot 2x4 sandwich.

Thank you

I used strut to make mine adjustable and it was a bit involved to get everything to work out, I cut square washers and had somebody weld the bolts to the washers. It works but I think that for the average person it is more involved and will need some specialized tools.

1 Like

Your representations are miles ahead of the windows paint sketches. I have found in life there are many more than 1 way to do things. Rarely is it that there is only 1 way or 1 answer. Keep up the great work.

Thank you

But why not motorize the top beam adjustment with a remote so he can adjust it from his bedroom in the middle of the night. After all, if you’re going to do something, might as well overdo it! :smiley:

Sorry, I missed the context there.

2 Likes

Well actually I did think of a stepper and a long gates belt. Then I decided an adjustable wrench is good enough.

Thank you

square washers are available at the same places that sell the strut.

If you make the opening in the strut point down, you can use standard captured
nuts to tighten itin place, no need for any custom parts.

The problem if you use captured nuts is that it does not want to slide very well in the strut. As somebody else posted if you use a trimmed down square nut it slides easier. I found a chunk of spring and cut it up and put it on the bolt under the washer so it pushes it up into the strut so that when you loosen the bolt it is pushed into the stut and does not drag.

1 Like

asI said before,I don’t expect that peoplewill be adjusting things all the time,
but if they are, it’s far easier to grind the teeth off of one of the captured
nuts than to create a new thing from scratch

1 Like

That’s electricity free natural material organic CAD :grinning:

1 Like