After updating to new firmware the belts do not extend far enough to start

The belts are not extending far enough with correct frame dimensions from last release, last release it was relatively in the middle, now it is inches off, or several centimeters.

it is around 8cm off, or half the sled roughly. its like the center off now or something, left to right is ok, top to bottom is not good.

I have seen people say to make the frame bigger but something changed. I also made sure the configuration was re-setup before I started.

1 Like

When you updated to the latest release did you update the maslow.yaml file? Is there any chance that itā€™s pulling incorrect values for the frame size from that file?

I will check that but I made sure I press save on the setup screen, when I updated I updated the bin file the index file and the YAML file

1 Like

I see, it resets your frame configuration, i think it would be a little more obvious if say the default is 10cm extension then you would know right away, i guess i will in the future.

1 Like

I actually had this same issue when I updated from 0.70 to 0.74.2. I brought my YAML config forward, though, so it should have known the size of my frame already.

I deleted that new YAML file and replaced it with a backup of the one that was working for 0.70 and I was able to start cutting again without having to recalibrate.

I know Iā€™m wrong, but as far as I can tell every firmware update that comes with a new YAML change as well will require recalibration, because bringing your calibration across to a new YAML file via copy paste doesnā€™t appear to be a viable path.

1 Like

copy and paste may not work well, but you can enter the values through the menu
(very close to where you upload the new firmware)

David Lang

1 Like

Unfortunately there doesnā€™t seem to be a field to denote that those values are from a calibration, so I would still expect to have to calibrate after copying those values over.

In that instance, it would feel like a waste of time to do that because I would be calibrating again either way.

1 Like

Carson Barry wrote:

Unfortunately there doesnā€™t seem to be a field to denote that those values are from a calibration, so I would still expect to have to calibrate after copying those values over.

You donā€™t need to say that they are from a calibration, all that matters is that
they match your frame. The Calibration is just a way of figuring out what those
values are.

you could carefully measure all 6 distances between anchors, do some
calculations (like what I do in this onshape doc

) and enter those values. If you measured carefully enough (and the encoders are
measuring the belt distance properly), it will be just as good as the automated
calibration

cut-n-paste can add other stuff to the file, and the fluidNC yaml parser is
extremely picky, an extra space in the wrong place will cause it to stop reading
the file. I suspect that is what you are running into trying to copy the values
manually.

too many editors try to be ā€˜helpfulā€™ (especially on a mac) and do things that
you didnā€™t tell them to do, but Iā€™ve run into bad editors on every OS.

David Lang

1 Like

IMO, the values that change during setup of the maslow (calibration values / frame values, etc) should not be in the maslow.yaml (fluidnc config), but in another file. There should be the machine configuration file which has the pinouts, etc for the hardware, then another file that can be used to select the frame and calibration values. Upon new firmware releases then we could just distribute the maslow.yaml which virtually never changes, and the user can keep their frame.yaml (or whatever we call it) across releases.

This however, will require changes in how these values are accessed and saved in the firmware, and it probably falls behind some more critical work at this timeā€¦

1 Like

I have used vscode every time Iā€™ve worked with the file.

Iā€™m certain I have to do something, otherwise I would be able to tell the machine to perform cuts before running a calibration, but you canā€™t do that. Whatever flag is being set when you run calibration that lets you start using apply tension and cut instead, itā€™s not apparent in the file.

1 Like

Carson Barry wrote:

I have used vscode every time Iā€™ve worked with the file.

Iā€™m not familiar with that program

Iā€™m certain I have to do something, otherwise I would be able to tell the
machine to perform cuts before running a calibration, but you canā€™t do that.
Whatever flag is being set when you run calibration that lets you start using
apply tension and cut instead, itā€™s not apparent in the file.

There is no flag, you can setup the maslow with the default values, do the
rehang dance so it knows where it is, and have it start trying to cut. It wonā€™t
work well, you will have lots of slack in some belts, but you can try.

after you power it on, you have to hit the alarm button and do the rehang dance
so that it knows what the belt lengths are, thatā€™s it.

David Lang

1 Like

[quote=ā€œCarson_Barry, post:10, topic:21126ā€]
Iā€™m certain I have to do something, otherwise I would be able to tell the machine to perform cuts before running a calibration, but you canā€™t do that.[/quote]

Lets recap the ā€œhappy pathā€ state of things just to be sure I understand that you have done this and for anyone else readingā€¦

• After a calibration with good fitness, save your maslow.yaml so you can copy those same maslow_xxxx settings any new maslow.yaml file you might put on the machine (or enter them in the config dialog, which should do the same).
  • any time the maslow is powered off after a good calibration, and you restart, you will have to take it down, retract all, extend all, re-hang, and apply tension.
  • you should then be able to cut (no need for another calibration).

BTW, vscode is fine, both Bar and I use it for development, but any good text only editor will work. I would not use ā€œwordā€ or ā€œtexteditā€, etc.

1 Like