Any differences for type of wood

Greetz all,
New user here. I searched but can’t find anything on this specifically. I’m about to head to the [fill in big box store here] for the materials to build the frame. Are there any recommendations on the type of wood? What’s everyone using “regular” 2x4’s and plywood? Any benefit to using the more expensive (feels way smoother to me) wood available? I believe the wood I’m referring to is interior wood (the smoother, prettier wood), but not sure.

Thanks all, great community this look like, been a long time lurker, finally ready to build my CNC now.

In case it’s not obvious, I’m not a carpenter :blush::upside_down_face:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!
Straight wood, I would say, is the important part. If you have the space, you should consider making at 12’ wide top bar that is 30” above the work piece. This will require longer chains (12.5’ minimum) for each side but will allow you to have more accurate cuts around the outer edges of the 4x8.
I would also recommend reinforcing the top bar frequently across the length of the top bar to prevent flexing which will set you up for an accurate machine.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @TeaDrinkingHacker!
As @WoodCutter4 said, straight is the most important.
I went with cheap 2x4 for the first frame and due to my location on an island, with high humidity changes and temperature differences of up to 45° over the year, and the wood was not aged, i had issues with it bending and eventually had to take the frame apart and redo it. Don’t know your location. Hope you are in a better place.
But if you can afford it and get aged wood with the grain going all the way the long side, go for it (actually to much over engineering :slight_smile: ). The top beam should be rock solid against flex as mentioned above.
As a spoil-board on the back i’ve tried c-plex (so called waterproof) and mdf and are now with osb, as the first 2 just bent as well.

Happy wood chipping soon.
Kind regards, Gero

1 Like

Hi @TeaDrinkingHacker

FWW - I think what you are calling the expensive stuff is know as Baltic Birch.

If you research, it is available in varying grades for specific uses and looks very nice.

Thank you

2 Likes

I highly recommend a 10’ minimum, preferably the unistrut / superstrut.

2 Likes

This was all super helpful, thank you all a TON. I now have a garage full of lumber (and a very skeptical wife :smirk: ). Will be commencing construction today!

3 Likes