Auto-power switch for router?

YES! this would be the last piece i need in my puzzle of how to transform my Maslow to use my plasma cutter!

2 Likes

Would like to use
M03 spindel start
M05 spindel stop
M08 dust collection start (Coolant on)
and maybe
M13 spindel and dust collection start

So we do not need to edit the program files manually

2 Likes

Isn’t PWM speed control usually on a different pin (didn’t look, but that’s what I remember), in addition to power off/on? M3/4 equivalent, just turn on AUX1, M5 turn it off. If somebody decides to add a bidirectional spindle they can implement a separate direction line themselves. No opinion fake flood cooling, but if it’s easy why not turn, say, AUX2 off/on too.

@pyrosrock, plasma cutters are very electrically noisy. If you haven’t already you should troll the appropriate forums and see what you’re getting into.

Guess I’ll order a couple of those $3 40A DA SSRs, could use another in the parts bin anyway. I’m sure a reputable Fostek/Fotek/Futek relay would easily handle the full rated power, but maybe go big anyway.

2 Likes

If you get this going with SSRs, please sketch up a simple schematic, because I’d prefer to go this way… It’s worth noting that most of the IoT-type controlled outlets would have a hard time powering both the router and dust collector!

"most of the IoT-type controlled outlets would have a hard time powering both the router and dust collector!"
True but you can parallel the control input lines together and run two separate Io-T devices and split out the router and dust collector load over two separate breaker outlets.

2 Likes

I created this pdf for controlling a growing room that will handle multiple 120v items.
Contactors for Newbies
Maybe this will give you some ideas.

2 Likes

Thanks for chiming in with the info on contactors. By the time one gets to controlling a router, a dust collector and a Maslow power supply, you’re switching more power than any IOT power strip is designed to handle.

2 Likes

I picked up a box of x10 devices for cheap at a garage sale. The appliance modules handle 15a and I’m using them to remote control the garage. Fans, lights, etc. I could use a keychain or similar to kill the Maslow. Any thoughts as to why not?

other than the fact that I don’t trust wireless for critical controls, no.

That being said, it’s better than nothing.

David Lang

X10 has several issues. I would not use it for potentially harmful situations. Turning on or off a router can be potentially harmful on occasion.

1 Like

Should have read backwards before posting, edited…

One of those mushroom shaped emergency stop switches will work lots better than a wireless switch (an I the only one that remembers when every web page had at least one X10 ad? Most of the Mooselake Manor had X10 switches somewhere in the pre-Internet early 80s). It will still take a while for the bit to slow down, couldn’t find out if shorting the power input works with a speed control and don’t want to risk blowing my own router finding out

2 Likes

I realize that this problem has been at least theoretically solved by the proposed software update, but I have a couple harebrained non-software ideas that would work…

(Both would require Z-axis control)
Idea 1: Mount a physical microswitch somewhere just at the outer edge of the sled’s range, lets say top left (to keep falling dust off it). Wire the microswitch with a relay to shut off router power when depressed. Then simply make sure you have a command at the end of your cut that raises the Z and runs the sled up to the microswitch. *click-power down…

Idea 2: Similar plan but instead of moving the sled to hit the switch it might be possible to mount the switch onto the router itself so that when the Z axis is backed out a specific amount it activates the switch and shuts off the router.

In my head these both seem like viable options… but my head is often wrong :wink:

4 Likes

I like Option 2! great ideas

The other side of this is that a z-axis movement could unexpectedly cause the router to start. Be careful.

That’s an interesting point.

If I were doing this I think I would wire it so that it tripped a relay that would then have to be manually reset in order to provide power again. That way it couldn’t accidentally restart. Sort of a “re-arm” button before the z-axis switch would be active again.

2 Likes

That’s a good solution. Auto-off but manual on, much safer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hit the big red locking mushroom?

1 Like

A mechanical safety is a good option too, puts the operator back into the application of power.

Depends where you position it. I’d like to try the conduit on sliders, think 2 or 3 smooth shaft bolts to keep it lined up. Works as a safety on car hoists. The conduit could then hit a home/endstop microswitch or an eStop a little further out.

Cleared customs at SFO, almost back home. Had a nice visit with @walter and got to actually see another Maslow!

1 Like

I suggest getting a small UPS for the electronics, so a small power glitch won’t matter, and do NOT plug your router into it. Having it on GFCI or surge protector is OK.

In the USA, I have purchased refurbished APCC UPSes from refurbups.com (no affiliation, just happy customer). Shipping is a killer (heavy batteries, that should either be monitored, or just replace every 3 years , sometimes they can last much longer, but if you don’t monitor, the time method works).