Auto-power switch for router?

@Rich_Jones

Excellent work! Thank you for sharing this. Can you tell me where you made the change for step 8?

Thanks again.

It is now merged into the master branch of the code and will be in the next release. Sorry for the delay!

5 Likes

It was on the Maslow Settings page below the Z Axis installed. It was called Spindle Automation.

Another option for a DIY solution:

I am hoping to start my build this weekend and am ordering a couple of these (maybe use one for vacuum using the Coolant gcode eventually?).

3 Likes

You can also get a DC controlled AC solid state relay (search for 40da SSR) in that price range or several Arduino style optoisolated relay boards. You might need to dig a bit for an active high relay since most of them are triggered by a low (0V) signal.

I threw a traffic light controller together for a neighbor from a Nano and 4 port relay board that’s been running for the last few months driving a recycled real traffic light with a 10 second cycle time. Based on a sample of one it’s reliable.

2 Likes

This will also do the trick. http://amzn.to/2nkoitJ

Just be aware that those Amazon relays are only rated to 10 amps. Might be a little close to the line for some routers.

That’s true, my ridgid runs around 7 to 8 amps, but at startup, it can momentarily hit 12 to 15 amps.

I guess that depends, here in Aus where we use 240Vac our power points are only 10A so that would not present its self as a problem.

In the states, if it is UL listed they figure in 15 to 20% safety factor into the design. so you can usually turn the dial up to 11 without issue :wink:

Thanks for all the kind comments. Glad it works for you.
Yes, I’m using this setup myself, and it works great. I also have my vacuum set up to come on also at the same time. It looks like the settings are now merged, so it should work out of the box after hooking up aux1, and turning on Z and AutoZ settings.

Just as a reminder, make sure you set up the on/off macros as they will be very helpful.

I use this relay system for cleanliness of mounting and ease of use. Just run an aux wire in and plug it in. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@skiz

Again great work. Yes this is the unit it seems everyone has replaced the power tail with. They both work well and I believe are UL certified.

I don’t know where the live source code is. / ? For those not using live source code it should be noted it will be part of next Wednesdays release.

1 Like

I have a couple of IGBT from previous projects and would like to set up my router to start and stop.

I looked through Ground Control and was wondering what I would need to have for gcode?

Thanks
Mark

@marm

You need to be on GC & Firmware .99 & set Automatic Spindle Control in advanced settings.

I think this is what your looking for, different quotes from earlier in the thread-

Created Macros 1 & 2 for M03 and M02 for spindle on and off.

Does this mean that M03, M04, and M05 are now active in GC and working on Aux1?
I think 3 & 4 turn the spindle on, 2, 5, 6 & 30 turn it off

blurfl22d1
The gcodes in the ‘M’ family are decoded in CNC_Functions.h starting around line 1647 in ‘executeMcodeLine()’.
Codes 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 30 are implemented.
0 - program pause
1 - optional pause/halt/stop
2 - program end
3 - spindle on - clockwise
4 - spindle on counterclockwise (here, same as #3)
5 - spindle off
6 - tool change, pause for response
30 - program end with return to top

3 & 4 turn the spindle on, 2, 5, 6 & 30 turn it off.

Thank you

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get this working properly and I’m not sure what is going wrong. I’m able to turn the router on via an external relay using the M03 command which takes the input low to the my relay and operates the contacts. However, when i send the M02 command, sometimes the pin goes high and shuts the relay off, sometimes it’ll shut off after 20 or 30 seconds, and sometimes it won’t shut off at all.

Do you think this is a code issue? Or operator error?

Possibly code - you’re on V.99 in Firmware and Ground Control?

And you have set auto control?

Thank you

Currently running V.99 for firmware and ground control. Where do you set auto controls?

In the settings - click the button at the top that says Maslow Settings that doesn’t look like a button. You get a fall down menu - choose Advanced Settings - Spindle Automation is the 5th option down. Set it to ON. Try again , we have seen erratic behavior of its not set.

Thank you

That fixed it, thanks again!

3 Likes

I bought some Arduino extension cables off of eBay thinking that I could use them to connect to the driver board. The cables do fit the Arduino pins but unfortunately, they are too loose to fit into the driver board.

I am wondering what others are using to connect to the driver board? I am hoping that I don’t have to solder to the board if at all possible.

Thanks