Better 3D modeling software than Fusion 360

Let’s be honest 3D modeling is hard and takes some effort and time to learn, no matter which software package you are using. I started the wiki entry for Fusion 360 getting started and tips in this forum back in 2018,after spending a number of hours watching YouTube videos and practicing modeling. BTW, anyone in the forum please feel free to update it, as I am no longer using F360.

After AutoDesk changed the terms of hobby type licensing last year, originally stating they would disable STEP output and then reeled it back after the uproar. I doubled my efforts to learn FreeCad and can say now that everything I was doing in Fusion 360, I can now accomplish in FreeCad. The thing that appealed to me most was like Fusion 360, FreeCad has integrated CAM (Path workbench) and it’s GRBL post processor works on my Maslow.

That being said, FreeCad is an open source project and does not have the same workflows as Fusion 360, SketchUp, Onshape and some are put off by it’s UI. However, FreeCad is under constant development and has a very active user Forum.

Ultimately, it up to the individual to decide which 3D modeling software is best suited for them. My 3D journey with Free to use software includes.

• SketchUp
  • DesignSpark Mechanical - intuitive sketch tools, uses ANSYS SpaceClaim engine
  • OnShape
  • Fusion 360
  • SolveSpace - Open source project, amazing what this tiny program can do. Only 12 Mb download.
  • FreeCad
3 Likes