Boat Builders Projects

On CLC’s website, it clearly states that buying one set of plans allows you to build ONE boat. I don’t remember ever seeing if someone wanted to build a second one and what that royalty might be. If I was building a second one for myself that might be one thing, but building it to sell is definitely another thing.

I’m certainly not a boat designer, although I have heard of some software available for newbies like me. I’m more than happy to read the descriptions and stats for the various boats and make my choice from others’s designs.

The reason I love CLC’s Lapstitch™ boats is that I don’t have to build a strongback first. The boats just cup together as you stitch them up. Having to cut your boat free from the strongback, making it unusable for a second boat seems kind of wasteful to me.

I’m in a pram mode right now. Before I settled on CLC boats, I was looking at various V-bottom boats like the D4 or D5 on Bateau.com. I’m just not a fan of sprit rigs for some reason. I’ll have to get over that if I ever have/get to build an Opti for my son.

I’m glad to hear that the Maslow can get full use of a 4x8 sheet of plywood. It seems that all the videos cut something out of the middle. On my latest project, I only had 2" to spare across the entire 48" wide sheet when cutting out the six panels. It was a little nerve-wracking. I used a Japanese pull saw with almost no kerf, but a 1/8" bit would probably work just fine.

I would really enjoy seeing someone like you build a boat using a Maslow to cut out the parts. I think I have 20-30 hours cutting out parts for my 12’ boat. It would be interesting to compare the time it takes to cut out say the 12 sheets shown in the diagram above.

I’m anxiously awaiting @Sonny_Lacey to get back to work on his Bobcat project.