Boat Builders Projects

I’m using the plans for the Angus Rowboats “Cambridge Racer” A fast racing shell you can build - Cambridge Racer - Angus Rowboats

Those plans are pretty much perfect for what you’re looking for because they come with DXF files. (which is what I used) However, my shell is slightly modified from the original plan, I just gave it a more aggressive lines near the bow and stern, I changed the curvature of the bow, and I made the hull a little bit thinner.

As for going from SVG/DXF to Goode… I did it myself. I used adobe illustrator to fix/clean up the DXF file a little bit. The DXF files that they send are need to be cleaned up as some paths aren’t fully joined and there are lots of lines that can be simplified. (It’s not hard to do this)

If you buy these plans let me know as you need to flip the bottom bow panel, and theres lots of advice that I can give.

Once I had a clean, connected SVG it was time to make the Gcode. I had used makercam to do that but sadly makercam doesn’t work anymore because flash was discontinued. I’m hearing some people talk about Easel though, I’d give that a try.

Cutting the Parts:

This boat is a stitch & glue construction boat so you’ll have to cut long, 8ft panels. (18 of them to be exact)

While your son is absolutely right that you can use the Maslow to cut the panels… using the default frame Maslow won’t work, as it’s not big enough. I posted my setup that I used to cut the panels a few months ago: New Frame Design! Can cut long/wide (I’d be happy to send you additional info about the setup if that would help) There are also many other setups that others have posted as well… my setup has worked very well for cutting the panels.

1 Like