ok
G0 Z1
[PE:-0.85,-0.97,127]
G0 Z1
Maslow Paused

Thanks

Hmmm, I’m not at my machine right now, but I’ll try that too and see what I can figure out

I was using firmware .81 and updated to .86 and that seems to have fixed my z position issue. Ill do some more testing and see how reliable cncjs would be with Maslow.

Thanks!

2 Likes

After updating the firmware, when I send my B12 and B03 messages I get the following response:

Message: Unable to find valid machine position for chain lengths 213.60, 200.85 . Please calibrate chain lengths.
Kinematics Settings Loaded

Do you typically need to recalibrate after flashing the firmware? Now when I try to Jog X or Y it will just move the sled down, is this a symptom of invalid machine position?

Not typically, but one of the intervening version updates made changes that cured this, and a chain re-cal was necessary for many folks. If you’ve marked your chains after a previous cal, the manual cal is enough. If not, the auto chain cal will put all correct again.

Yes, that’s the case.

This is great! I will definitely need to test with cncjs and LaserWeb. I guess this means I need to buy another Raspberry Pi.

From a first look the documentation seems nicer for cncjs, but I have not used the software yet. They both appear to be NodeJS solutions. I tried the demo for LaserWeb and I had to read the documentation to understand how to navigate the UI. The docs for LaserWeb says it only supports Chrome browser, which seems a little weird and short sighted. They both appear to be actively updated. The cncjs docs say it supports smaller screen sizes, which is pretty great, and they both appear to support some form of webcam.

I’m really glad it was decided to support the GRBL protocol, this gives us so many options!

Other than the calibration routine, what does Ground Control provide that solutions like cncjs and LaserWeb do not?

1 Like

That’s html5 and JavaSc***t, we must love standards since we have so many of them. Fighting the same issues with our EMS charting system’s new version at work. Every browser omits a few things and adds a few “extensions”. The browser they insisted on for the last version no longer works with the new one.

/Rant/ Kids. Gotta be at the bleeding edge, and by the time most of the bugs are worked out (like Java, for example) it’s not the hot resume filler anymore.

Just like the old dialup days when I ran an ISP. Different popular sites required different browsers. Try explaining that to somebody who got this new fangled Internet thing and us still searching for the any key

1 Like

That message:

Is saying that it thinks the chain lengths are 213mm and 200mm long each. This can happen if the machine get’s invalid geometry (A B3 command where one of the numbers is wrong), then saves it’s position. Next time when it loads it’s position it will have the wrong lengths forever after. I bet you will see the same error in Ground Control, the the solution is quick you just need to run the “Calibrate Chain Lengths” command.

1 Like

@bar you nailed it. I had my kinematicsType set to 2 instead of 1. I incorrectly interpreted the code when reading the IF statement and seeing that kinematicsType was not defined in my settings file.

The machine seems to be acting correctly now. My next hurdle is machine position vs work position. From what I can tell, Maslow always reports the machine position but the work position is always 0,0,0. It looks like Ground Control translates GCODE to place the cut in different portions of the work piece. Since cncjs does not do this translation, it always centers the cut on 0,0,0.

I believe G10 or G92 could be used to offset the work, I see that G10 is in the firmware code but G92 is not. While I can execute a G10 code and it appears to be OK I am not able to get the machine to translate where the cut would occur.

Came here to toss in my support for LaserWeb compatibility. They are a great group of devs, very open and collaborative, and are actively looking to partner with new firmware devs.

LaserWeb4 provides GCode generation right in the app, with compatibility with a variety of standard design file types. It also let’s you visually simulate the cut, add pre and post GCode instructions, etc etc.

I would pay money to be able to use a Maslow with LaserWeb (if I had to).