Building a Bolger Bobcat (Payson Tiny Cat) catboat from CAD on up

Great project! This is exactly why I got on the waiting list. I built CLC’s cute little Eastport Pram and am about to start on a Passagemaker. I gave serious thought to building a Bobcat, but it’s not a great camping design. However, once I scratch that itch, it’s a beautiful gentleman’s daysailer.

I’m very interested in how accurate your rig is, especially out at the ends of the 4’x8’ sheet. Also, what kind of sled is your router on? The triangulation kit looks promising. As a mechanical engineer, I love parallel linkages and 4 bar mechanisms.

On a side note, I just finished my boatbuilding shop (midnight-maker.com) and am looking for commissions in the PNW (will be starting a teardrop trailer for a friend soon). I love making drawings from offsets. I once took drawings of a wooden clock and generated CAD files for it. I may do that for the Passagemaker. I want to do some fancy teak decking patterns on the thwarts. I actually want to get it done before it gets warm again.

I will be following your progress and adding my $0.02 if I feel I can contribute to the conversation. Good luck on your project!

5 Likes