Building a Bolger Bobcat (Payson Tiny Cat) catboat from CAD on up

I pasted this thread on CLC’s forum and got a standard old-school response, that by the time you draw up the plans in CAD and get your CNC to cut it out, you could’ve drawn it out in pencil and cut the parts by hand. While possibly/probably true, it ignores the point that the process/challenge is what counts. It’s a corollary to “It’s the journey, not the destination”.

It also ASSumes that you’re only every going to build one of any given boat. When I cut out the parts for my Eastport Pram, I also made sure to cut out hardboard/masonite templates at the same time, in case I wanted to build another one. It saves me all the trouble of drawing it up and cutting it out again, which was about 30 hours for an 8’ boat.

In addition, the ability for a garage hobbyist to cut out 4’x8’ sheets of plywood with a $500 machine and create just as good of a kit as CLC’s hundreds of thousands of dollars machine is unbelievably rewarding. It would allow me to be able to look John Harris in the eye next year in Port Townsend at the Wooden Boat Festival as a pseudo-equal…:wink:

6 Likes

@sawdustagain

Welcome to our group. I’m glad you found the Maslow.

Thank you

@Dan.gerous21

Welcome to our group. I’m glad you can join in. Everyone has their workflow. I think the Maslow is a fantastic tool. However a great wood worker can toss out and entire boat by hand with no electricity. So it depends on the experience someone is looking for. I love CNC for what it is. It enhances my skills, not replace them.

Thank you

1 Like

For those of you new to CNC you might want to check this out.

Thank you

4 Likes

I agree @Bee , but for some projects the ability to cut panels with CNC will be a huge help. My next build will be all by hand, but hopefully the Maslow will be incorporated for some future projects we have lined up (My wifes very supportive).

When we built our house it was all hand tools, I wish I had had an electric mitre saw back in those days as it would have reduced build time considerably - not to mention better cuts!

1 Like

@dsherburn, the Devlin designs are great; I do love his work, and he is one of the great grandfathers of the whole Stitch n’ Glue movement. I have not used QCAD, but I think I may just try it out (I’m never wedded to any particular application)! For the puzzle joints, there are two ways to go about it, both of which involve simply making a gently-curving spline. First, I lay out that series of S-curves (or back-to-back Cs) by eye; no measuring other than ensuring that the curves will not bind up the cutter by being too tight. Next, I just lay that curve over the panel objects. Depending if the panels are ‘surfaces’ or ‘bodies’ (insert your CAD terms of choice, here), I either split the surfaces with the puzzle spline and then extrude the two surfaces or I extrude the one panel and make a surface out of the puzzle spline by extending it normal to the panel…then using that surface as a cutting object. Does that make sense?

@MidnightMaker, that is awesome about starting on a Passagemaker. I once built up a CLC Northeaster Dory from the purchased plans: laying out the wood, scarfing the panels, connecting awl marks with a batten. Tiring work just to draw curves on the plywood! The CNC would have chopped off about 20% of that time, even with input of data (if it were available in offset tables, that is). As for accuracy, I did find that it does drop off at the ends (R/L) of the board, and consequently my puzzle joints needed a bit of helping and putty. No biggie, though. Fortunately for me, most accuracy nits were on the ‘oversize’ end, so I have to saw/sand down. For that, I am thankful. I am trying to make up a diagram of all of the inaccuracies observed, but building is taking my free time! I ordered a triangulation kit a while back on Etsy, and am still waiting for it; I have the stock sled setup, currently.

For plans, I got mine from the URL that you mentioned (Payson’s Instant Boat web site). That’s the place. I also have Payson’s book, “Building the Instant Catboat,” which is really good, but I actually have some additions I’d like to make to it from my experience building other boats (e.g. epoxy the interior of the centerboard trunk before slapping it together)! Doing paper edge as baseline would be good, I think, for your plans conversion. That, and taking a photo (and unwarping it in Lightroom or similar to make it a true orthophoto) and using that as a guidance background image may help.

For anyone wondering just WHY I decided to go CAD/CAM and do all of the legwork when cutting out the panels by hand is fine, here is one of the biggest reasons (besides the fact that the whole Maslow ‘movement’ kicks butt and I like machinery): SPACE. My workshop, which has birthed (berthed?) about half a dozen watercraft, some 17’ long, is teensy tiny. I could never have a lay-up like the Bobcat, now, and still cut panels. The Maslow lets me put that whole operation up against the wall (which I have to watch out for when walking around the 'cat) and frees up precious floor space. As for panel assembly, I can always lift the boat on sawhorses and do that beneath it. I would never do that and try cutting out panels. Maslow makes my use of incredibly small space so much more efficient. I could, I suppose, go outdoors and cut, but it is currently 20 degrees and there is snow in that area. A no-go for me.

Now, then, if I could ever clean up my space, it would be more efficient, but I get off topic, there.

6 Likes

@Sonny_Lacey

Have you considered doing a running blog on your build(s)?

Thank you

2 Likes

Ya know, I have thought about that for a while now… Guess I have to get off my behind and actually do it!

5 Likes

I’ve done a few stitch and glue projects all over 10’ long. 14’ deingbthe longest. All in half a 2 car garage (far from empty) with the simplest of tools. I can tell you for sure that having everything cut and held in a sheet by tabs would’ve been far preferable to the way I did it. Also there’s people that derive more satisfaction from building a boat than using one. Shortening that process shortchanges these people. I like pieces that are accurately cut and cleanly go together with no fuss. I can’t wait to try a boat.

2 Likes

I did a CLC prone paddkeboard. I would’ve much preferred to do the project via Maslow. At the time the plans were not complete. They somehow mistakenly sold me an assembly manual and what they had completed of the plans. I had to scarf the pieces together. Puzzle joints would’ve been nice.

2 Likes

I’m a little confused as to which side you’re taking. BTW, I lived in Austin for 4 years and loved it. Regardless, I’m just trying to make high quality boats out of marine grade plywood. I’m hoping that will be of interest to someone else without the thousands of dollars of investment for a comparable XYZ table. Having made wooden boats by hand, I appreciate the power of accuracy and repeat-ability that Maslow brings to the table (pun intended) for 48"x96" and larger projects. My current project is 11’7" long and it’s taking a considerable amount of hand-crafting to produce. Being both hand-tool and CAD/CAM savvy, I can see the pros and cons of both sides of the equation. My personal choice is to spend the time drawing boats and let the machine cut out the parts.

IMG_6267

6 Likes

I’m firmly on the CNC side.

1 Like

I have built stand up paddleboards with a central stringer and about 13 or so internal frames, then covered in strip planking… Those internal frames would have been GREAT for CNC work…tedious, symmetrical things. For my part, having CNC in the mix is the way to go, especially for creating ‘from scratch’ custom designs. I can create the model, ‘unwrap’ the chines and export the DXF into AutoCad and then cut away… If I were doing it by hand, either printing out the blueprints or drawing from a table of offsets and battens is extremely time-consuming. I like to build, sure, but I like to get these things out the door and on the water even more so. :grin:

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m only 13 hours into the 100+ hours build. I haven’t cut out any of the interior bulkheads, or any of the side pieces yet. Lots of fun, sawdust and listening to podcasts and audiobooks.

I am following the nested diagram provided with the plans very closely, though. If I used the edge of the paper plans as the base line, I could draw up all the parts using offsets. Most are symmetrical. Once drawn up, the parts could then be laid out on a 48" x 96" blank in CAD, nested as per the diagram and the several parts could be cut out at once.

For the 11’7" long sides, the parts could be tiled by using a registration mark on the bottom crossbar with matching mark in the file. You could even make them overlap to ensure continuity (and possibly a small air cut) or leave a section uncut to act as a tab.

I’m making this first boat to get one under my belt for either teaching how to build your own classes or selling ones that I build for others. Having the ability to save the dozens of hours of hand cutting these parts by just loading a sheet of plywood and a click of the mouse is amazing to me.

I’ve even considered the idea of having a regatta in the Fall where all the teams have built their own one-design boat (possibly from my kits) and starting to sell them at the beginning of the year so they have several months for the build and something to look forward to during these last few cold months.

With that being said, the most important thing is to build this boat so I can take my son sailing when it gets warm…:sunglasses:

6 Likes

Just wanted to post this video here. This was cut with a laser printer, but as I always say “laser, shmaser” AMIRIGHT!?

http://rapidwhale.com/mini-boat.php
5 Likes

let me know when this regatta is! @onifli also likes to sail.

1 Like

It’s definitely not too late. I’m only 22 hours into my build. I’m currently waiting for the weather to warm up enough to epoxy the scarf joints on the 48" wide sheets of plywood. Order your plans/kit and make it happen. We can meet on Green Lake, Lake Samish, Lake Whatcom, etc. We could do a MeetUp or something later this summer. What about the Wooden Boat Festival in Port Townsend in September?

It’s the end of February and at around 100 hours (published build time), you could definitely bang one of these out, even after drawing up your own CAD drawings from the plans. Add the few hours to build your frame and do some calibrations and test cuts and you’re ready to even do test cuts on a piece of luan backed up by some foam board. You could then lay those luan parts directly onto the plans for instant gratification.

2 Likes

Oh, and don’t forget, you can also design your own puzzle joints and not have to worry about silly scarf joints…:sunglasses:

I am hoping to do the same with a stitch and glue kayak or two. Can’t wait to see how your boat turns out.

The CNC part is already done. He’s got the boat all stitched together. Now it’s just epoxy and fiberglass fun…:sunglasses:

Apparently, he got enough accuracy on the edges of the sheets to make it work. I’m cutting out my parts with a pull-saw and a jigsaw, leaving a few thousands outside the line I transferred from the plans.

1 Like