Building a Bolger Bobcat (Payson Tiny Cat) catboat from CAD on up

would you be willing to share the cut files and or the dimns?

Would you?

Yes, I’ll look up my old cut files when I’m back at the shop. Sorry for the delay; traveling again.

1 Like

Much appreciated. safe travels my friend.

That is really awesome! Bobcats are fun boats, care to share the files? I’m planning on doing a 19 foot boat, but a bobcat first would be a great starter!

1 Like

I would love to share the files, but I will have to first get permission from H Payson’s company (the original blueprint creator)… I would not want to give out anything that is their intellectual property/copyright without their permission. Sorry for being a stickler on that, but I don’t want old Payson’s company to feel cheated. I’ll check with 'em.

5 Likes

I actually have the blueprints, plus for the Long Micro. “Dynamite!”

1 Like

If you have the blueprints, then I should suspect it would be OK for me to send you the files (as long as the prints were not built upon)… I think the current etiquette is to only do one build per prints set. I am still writing to Payson’s company just to be sure, so I do apologize for any delays. I know I’m being overly cautious on this, but I would HATE to have anyone in this awesome group of people incriminated on something. Thanks!

4 Likes

Hey, no problems, I am not ready to build yet anyway.I am in process of making cad files for a Michalak Piccup Pram, which will be cut out once I have the CNC setup and a couple smaller projects taken care of.

1 Like

Hi guys! I am trying to do a very similar thing, take a Bolger cartopper and draw out the pieces in Fusion 360 to make cutting files for cnc. Dont have a Maslow, but do have access to a machine at a local maker space.

If the project works out I will likely get a maslow or maybe a shaper origin. Leaning toward the shaper because it doesnt take up any moe space and I already have an 8x4 table to build on.

I have a ton of questions. I was going use a picture of the plans and import the shapes that way and then adjust the measurements to fit. Anybody try that?

Would love to share cut files with anyone who has purchased a book or plans to build from.my full plans for the Cartopper arrived last week along with a set for the Grand Diablo.

I actually think offering cut files back to HH Payson and Co. for them tobdustrubute along with the plans would be a great way to spread them while protecting the IP.

That looks very interesting. I’ve watched the PR videos on the website and it seems like you are just tracing an image using the screen, so it can only be as accurate as your hand/eye coordination? Does it have some mechanism to help guide you through the cut? Very cool tech. I’d like to get my hands on one to try it.

It locates itself in space using the proprietary tape by scanning the shapes. You get close to the line and it adjusts the spindle to follow the line exactly. If you get to far for it to correct, it lifts the cutter. The best part I think is that you can cut on something that wont fit inside a cnc cutter but with cnc accuracy, such as adding an inlay to an existing table or floor.

1 Like

The shaper origin requires you to put stickers on your workpiece so that the
router can know where it is and make adjustments from where you have moved the
sled (the travel is limited, move too far out of place and it can no longer
compensate)

It also will have a hard time if you are doing a lot of work in a small area and
cut the stickers that you are relying on.

it’s expensive, limited, and still requires that you move the sled around with
your hands, just with a little less care than if you are following a line
directly.

not a great product IMHO

David Lang

1 Like

Sonny, I want to do what you did but with a John Welsford SCAMP. I’ve got plans for Hull #151 in a tube but don’t have a clue how to go from paper blueprints to digital. I’m currently on the “lower slopes” of the Sketchup learning curve.

Thanks,

Rick

3 Likes

Rick,

If you can get relatively good overhead digital photos of the plans, Sketchup can really help. It has a very nice ability to load an image and then use the tape to measure a line of a known length in the drawing and use that to scale the image pretty accurately. You can imagine it is intended for the exact goal you are pursuing.

Of course you need to get your overhead photo as square as possible to avoid distortion. Once you have it in and scaled, you basically make it a component and then draw/trace the plans on top within sketchup. When you are done you can hide the image you imported and you should have your scaled drawing.

The challenge from there is that Sketchup is, sadly, a poor choice for CAD/CAM since it doesn’t make vector drawings and doesn’t have any direct path out to GCode. I am just starting to learn Fusion360 but I would hope it can do a similar image import and scale and it has beautiful CAD/CAM capabilities but a steep learning curve.

As an old-school alternative, you might want to throw up a quick post on your local Craigslist. I’m sure some drafting student from a local school or a professional in the evening could quickly get those plans in to CAD for you in a format that you can use to take to GCode. For someone who does this all day that is stock in trade.

-Jeff

1 Like

Thanks, Jeff, I appreciate your input.

I’ve already managed to replicate many of the pieces in Sketchup with little problem, but I’ll keep the idea you present in mind.

That sucks that Sketchup doesn’t have a direct path to GCode. Do you know of an indirect path?

I guess I might need to learn Fusion360.

Thanks, again.

Rick

Darn, in looking around at Fusion360 training/tutorial videos, looks like they are geared for Windows. I know Fusion360 is MAC OS compatible, but it would be nice to have training that is presented on OS.

It should be very close or nearly identical to the WinDoze version, same menus and operations, just cmd instead of control and different looking window headers. Linux users should find it close enough too. Sad truth is they make the training for the 90% market rather than produce near-identical copies for all the rest

Rick,

I only just discovered this and have not used it, nor can I comment on appropriateness for the Maslow, but it does appear to be a CAM module allowing you to draw in Sketchup and output GCode: https://openbuilds.com/projectresources/sketchucam.1/

-Jeff

Hi! Did you manage to talk to h payson co about use of the cnc files? I’m interested in building a bobcat - buying plans from them - and if possible using your files. I’m in New Zealand.