D.I.Y. Ring Kit

Somebody please tell me why this won’t work and that I should stop now before I waste more time on it.

The ring is really round, big enough for the router and the wheel runs freely, just wondering what’s likely to give me a headache going forward.

2 Likes

how round is it?

Are the rollers thick enough to put a grove in them? How do you avoid that the ‘wheel holders’ rub against the ring?

It looks pretty round to me, maybe not 100% but its close.

However out of round it is will be directly related to how accurate it is.

1 Like

There not really big enough for a grove that would accommodate the ring but I see what you mean, would probably need something like that or there will be rubbing. Hmmm.

remember that the forces on the rollers are very small, take a look at this post
(from the 755 post thread where the triangulation kits were developed, the
entire thread is worth reading)

David Lang

1 Like

I can’t pretend I understood all of that linked post but it seemed encouraging. I’ll continue and see how it performs and either tweak it or revert to my original set up. Thanks for the advice.

It was arguing that a linkage kit should work better than a ring kit, because
when you are at a slight angle and need to pull the rollers along the ring, you
have very little force available (and I can verify from Bar’s machine at
makerfaire that the rollers move in jerks, which results in a very shallow set
of ridges on the edge of the material being cut. Not enough to measure, but
enough to see and feel.

David Lang

2 Likes

This wont work cause your kids are going to be pissed their hoop is missing…

4 Likes

Ha, this hoop has been in the back of a shed for at least 15 years, it will not be missed.

2 Likes

Compare:
Triangular Linkage Video vs Ring Linkage Video.
Note the Ring Linkage “jerking” at :08 and :12 seconds.

1 Like

I’ll get the linkage kit ordered.

You`re welcome

https://www.google.com/search?q=pulley+washing+machine&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi2yvafocDdAhWMYVAKHQpoBKsQ_AUIDigB&biw=1280&bih=588

2 Likes

Great idea, @contemplator!
Washing machine pulleys are often cast aluminium - should be very rigid / resistant to flexing!

1 Like