Frustration with tutorials

Kiri:Moto is free and runs in your browser…

I just got F360 running in WINE a couple of months ago and made a project( plaque ) I brought the STL into Kiri:Moto and then sent to my 3040T CNC via CNCjs. You just need basic toolpaths so just open a browser to Kiri:Moto and continue the learning experience.

I’ve found CNC far more complicated than laser cutting or even 3D printing. Very rewarding. FYI, i love the smell of sawdust in the morning! Smells like ________.

After almost one year of not using my Maslow, I pretty much forgot how to use Fusion 360 (Its free for hobbyist) Don’t give up, I am not expert but the following video…if you watch it a couple of times could be a good start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlLFypnzvg&list=PLVDq02HMWlZuoh7HBtKYoJFGTrWvK0qVy&index=2&t=1159s and after one year and a couple of days regaining the knowledge : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilDT28A-sjQ

I feel the same way! The Maslow has been sitting in my garage becoming nearly useless :(. Easel writes code that takes 40 minutes to cut what I can do with a jigsaw in 5. And, I have yet to figure out how to work anything else. I’m feeling very hopeless

Excellent! You’ve figured out that CNC is not always the solution. The Maslow is a tool, which can be used for a lot of things, including things that could be done better or faster with a different tool. It’s up to you how you use it.

However, if you cut out a piece with a jigsaw then you must first mark it up, which takes time. And if you want a second piece exactly the same you have to do the whole thing again. By hand. Or print a giant paper pattern that you can trace around.

We had a recent job where we wanted to cut many copies of a complex shape within an area of about 60x60 cm (2’ x 2’). The CAD/CAM tools let us easily make the shape we wanted, but cutting the first one took a while, so we used it as a guide to cut the rest of the copies on a table router by hand.

The old saying that if the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail holds true for Maslow. If the only tool you have is a Maslow then everything looks like it has to be routed from 12mm plywood.

If you are feeling hopeless then post here about some of the things that you are doing and get some advice. Some people might say “just use a jigsaw- it will be quicker”. Some people might say “that shouldn’t take 40 minutes- let us see your G-code”. For some jobs that you can’t quite picture how to start, just ask, and see what suggestions you get.

3 Likes

I would be happy to share my code and get to the heart of what is going wrong. I have no history or experience in CAD/CAM and just learning about this world. That is why I have wondered if I was “in over my head” on this. I have found Easel very easy to use…but again, the code seems to be a lot of needless steps that extends the time line of the cut

Ok, well, don’t sweat it. There are two approaches you can take- either understand everything in minute detail and then get something cut, or have a go and see what happens. It sounds like you have done a design and got a result. This is definitely an achievement because everything has to be built, calibrated, and working to get to that stage. So, well done!

It could be that the operations you think are needless steps are actually needed. Or it could be that they are needless and can be optimised away. I wouldn’t worry about that at the moment if you have actually ended up with the cuts you wanted. In fact, you can’t be in over your head if you got a result.

It’s an excellent trait to want to understand things in depth and find out if they could be done better. However, you might find that it’s all exactly as it should be, so don’t be disappointed if no improvements can be made.

What specifically do you think needs to change, and why do you think that is so?

1 Like

Look at Carbide Create instead of easel. While CC would always handle larger machines (like a Maslow) their grid only went as large as their largest Shapeoko. They recently increased the grid size to 96x96 inches, not sure if it’s in the stable release but it’s in the beta. CC’s more of a traditional style CAD/CAM program plus it runs entirely on your computer. No creepy music cloudy stuff here.

I somehow got roped into volunteer amateur support for a mini router that’s less than 1/8 the cutting distances of a Maslow, and around half the cutting speed. Dealing with easel’s bugs and anomolies is a significant part of the job. While there’s many other choices Easel and Carbide Create (both free teasers from vendors of mid sized hobby routers) are the most common and easel (which I don’t use…) generates the most complaints.

OT, nearing the end of reviving a 10 year idle Zenbot Mini (it moves!), 6x8 inch (15x20cm) cutting area with one of Bart Dring’s grbl_esp32 controllers. Onboard WiFi and BT, SD card, and built in web server interface. Pretty cool

1 Like

How should I go about sharing the code? It is over 11,000 lines of code…yikes!

The things I am thinking are “pointless” are:

• several passes along the cut line at different depths (like 4-5 passes).
  • It will also move, plunge, retract, and then move again. So, it is making moves and plunges while never making any cuts.

I feel like I am wanting to use Maslow for the most simple use (imagine just cutting out the shape of an apple or flower, from 1/4" ply wood). I feel like a lot of the tutorials I have seen are so complex compared to my needs.

Just downloaded Carbide and liking it so far! …Also, watching Fusion 360 tutorials, to see if that can make since. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hobby CNC routers normally make multiple passes, controlled by setting the maxim depth per cut. Expect to do some experimenting, but around half the bit diameter is a good starting point. Feed rate (how far the bit is moving) and cutting depth interact so start with a selected depth and then adjust your feed rate until you’re happy with the cut quality and accuracy. If you like to experiment you can then change the depth of cut and retweak.

1 Like

And lots of gcode generating CAM, computer aided manufacturing, cause everything needs a cutsey acronym) are really bad with unnecessary retracts and replunges. One of the forum members has been working on a gcode optimization program to fix unnecessary moves. It’s not as important on our non-rapid movement Maslow but some will do rapid (G0) moves through air to save time, some do normal feed rate (G1) instead. Very noticable with fast rapid machines(my tiny Zenbot can do 800 inch per minute rapids), not so much on Maslow’s. Watching the router G1 retract between layers, then slowly G1 plunge back in the same spot and make another pass is kinda annoying.

2 Likes