Going straight to Final Frame using X-Carve?

So I have my Maslow pre-ordered and I’m considering using my 1m x 1m x-carve to pre carve all the final parts for Maslow and basically skip the temporary frame and go right to the final frame.

Has anyone done this? If so, are there any gotcha’s that I’m in for?

Basically while I await the 2ish month expected delivery time I’m thinking I’ll build the frame so when the kit arrives it’s a short project.

3 Likes

@ostrich99

Welcome to our group.

There is no reason you cannot do this. The workflow is setup for someone that is without another means for making the final frame. You could also build the final one by hand.

I say go for it and tell us how it works for you. I know people have made final parts, not sure if anyone has done the entire final frame. People have certainly made entire alternate frames.

Thank you

2 Likes

So I have my Maslow pre-ordered and I’m considering using my 1m x 1m x-carve to pre carve all the final parts for Maslow and basically skip the temporary frame and go right to the final frame.

Has anyone done this? If so, are there any gotcha’s that I’m in for?

many people have produced the parts with other machines. It’s a very good thing
to do if you have the option. Maslow is designed to support people who have
virtually no tools available and bootstrap itself. That doesn’t mean that
bootstrapping is the best option by any means

Basically while I await the 2ish month expected delivery time I’m thinking I’ll build the frame so when the kit arrives it’s a short project.

I would strongly suggest that you look at the different frame options. The stock
frame design has some very signficant drawbacks.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing some preliminary searches on the forum for the different frame options. I’ll definitely consider them. I’ve seen a metal framed one, and a 2x4 wall style one so far, but I haven’t had a ton of time to go much deeper yet.

Thanks for all the feedback. It’s appreciated.

2 Likes

I cut my maslow from scrap lumber on my 2’x4’ cnc table (GR3). It saved me a lot of time and headache of trying to get the best out of a temp frame build. The nice thing is that I was able to scrounge enough small pieces of plywood from around the shop and a few scrap piles at construction sites. That saved from buying an extra full sheet of plywood.

As for the stock frame, @dlang is correct. You will want to beef up the stock design for best results. I’ll post some photos when I get home. Get an extra 4 or 5 10 foot 2x4s, some deck screws and a little bit of planning and you will be all set.

2 Likes

My mod was basically to frame in the sides, brace the two upright triangles at the top and bottom, and tie the arm braces into the main frame in order to prevent flex. I’m dealing with very limited space so I didn’t have room for a brace across the top, however, bracing up the frame and connecting the motor arms to the two main triangles seems to do a pretty good job.

Also I’m open to upgrades and mod ideas if anyone has any recomendations.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of lumber, a simple 10’ 2x4 across the top connecting the arms as close to the motor as possible would have been at least as good.

My motors are in the rafters of my basement (very tight fit). The closest I could get a cross-arm to motors is about 8 inches down. So I burned through $14 in 2x4s instead.

2 Likes