Holey Triangular Calibration

Update

I have done everything I said I would do. I have been able to go through the full calibration Holey Calibration process, successfully. At this point, I am calling it done.

There are still some things that could be improved, but I have been working on this a long time, and I would like to get it in front of a broader group of people.

There are likely still some bugs, so this calibration process is only for the adventurous, willing to accept a potential mistake on my part.

Since I have made changes to GC and the Firmware, outside of the Holey Calibration process, I am going to wait on the Pull-Request until a few people have reported being able to successfully use this version of GC and the Firmware. So, if you are willing, I would appreciate it if you try out this software, and report back on this thread.

Changes from Main Forks

• Created a GUI and a Holey Calibration process, which is thought to be an improvement from the current Triangular Calibration process
  • Updates some of the string handling functionality, to prevent GC from communicating parameter values in Scientific Notation
  • Firmware Kinematics updated to include the full catenary equation for chain-sag
  • Firmware Kinematics updated to improve diagnostics information when the Kinematics::forward function fails

Instruction

Before you can run the Holey Calibration GroundControl fork, you must install the source code for GroundControl as listed on the GitHub instructions

Download the Firmware and GC from these locations:

The two are aligned in that the kinematics.inverse functions rely on the same math, so calibrations done in Ground Control should translate accurately to this Firmware fork.

Install and use Ground Control and the Firmware normally, just like the main fork. For the most part, it should function equivalently.

When you click on Actions=>Calibrate, you will go into the normal calibration process. It will ask you to go through all the normal measurements and settings as normal. There is one added screen for you to enter the Sled Weight. If you select Triangular Kinematics, you will eventually get to a screen that looks like this:

If you select Holey Calibration, you’ll go through the Holey Calibration process. Depending on your machine configuration, there may be a few additional steps before you get to this screen:

You will have to cut the 6 point test-pattern by selecting the “Run Holey Calibration Cut” button. When you click the button, your machine should jump into action and cut the six-point pattern.

After the pattern is cut, you’ll have to make 12 measurements, shown in the pattern in the blue picture. They are labeled M1 through M12. When you click “Next”, you’ll get to a screen like this:

Enter your 12 measurements in the boxes on the right. Units are “mm”. There is a diagnostic that turns the box red if a measurement is >10% off from where it should ideally be. If a box turns red, that means you’ve likely mis-measured or mis-typed a measurement. When you accurately enter the 12 measurements, and click “Next”, a screen will pop up like this:

It shows the initial measurements, and the initial parameters. When you click the “Calibrate” button, it will perform a parameter optimization to minimize the measured errors. It will populate the “Calibrated” columns for measurements and parameters. If everything looks good, click the “Push to Machine” button, which will write the calibrated parameter values to GC, which will automatically sync with the Firmware. Clicking the “Next” button will lead to a Finish screen which will exit out of the calibration. After that, your machine should be calibrated, synced, and ready.

10 Likes

Joshua,
This may be a completely stupid question!!! I want to try the calibration but how do I install GC ? Im running on Mac.
Thank you
Gustavo

Here are links to instructions

Is it normal to get the notification quotes warning your firmware is out of date and may not work correctly with this version of Ground Control.
Ground Control version 1.26
Firmware version 1.2 5

No. If you have both firmware and GC installed correctly, they should both be 1.26. I don’t have it in front of me at the moment, but I’m pretty sure.

1 Like

Yes, you don’t want to mix 1.25 and 1.26, upgrade your firmware.

@bar the last release was at the end of January, aren’t we do for another one? the firmware has some fairly significant improvements.

or are you waiting for us to prove the holey calibration and have that as part of the next release?

David Lang

My mistake, I didn’t launch the 1.25 ground control, no error message now,

Thanks for the reply

you actually should be running the holey triangular version of both Ground
Control and the firmware, they both differ from the stock ones. I’m pretty sure
both will report 1.26 currently.

David Lang

1 Like

I just pulled down the firmware master and was going to install it on the Maslow. Looks like there is an issue. I got this when doing the verify of the package:
Arduino: 1.8.9 (Windows Store 1.8.21.0) (Windows 10), Board: “Arduino/Genuino Uno”

sketch\System.cpp: In function ‘void setPWMPrescalers(int)’:

System.cpp:310:5: error: ‘TCCR3B’ was not declared in this scope

TCCR3B &= ~prescalerEraser;   // this operation sets the three bits in TCCR3B to 0

^

System.cpp:311:5: error: ‘TCCR4B’ was not declared in this scope

TCCR4B &= ~prescalerEraser;   // this operation sets the three bits in TCCR4B to 0

^

exit status 1
‘TCCR3B’ was not declared in this scope

I don’t think I modified anything related to this error. I have the “Tools=>Board” set to “Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560”. Are you using a custom Arduino board?

I am not. Just noted it when I did the verify before I uploaded it. Right now o am waiting for my PC to complete an overly long update process before I can proceed. I do the upload and post results

I get a similar error if I don’t set the tools=>board to the mega

David Lang

1 Like

Ah! sorry, I forgot that part for set up
Thanks
Windows update that took forever seems to have blown up GC on me. Can’t get it to run. Starting from scratch now.
I found a thread where someone was having a similar issue last year. I’ll look at those suggestions and try to implement them when I get home. I also see there is another log file to check.

How do I install the new calibration to the GC installation? I assume that I would just copy the files into the “GroundControl” in the CG installation folder. When I start GC and go through the calibration I do not see the new Holey calibration in the process. It only shows the original calibration test cuts. I am using a Windows 10 machine.

There are 2 links for GC/FW to use here under 'Instruction": Holey Triangular Calibration

Download those.

My advise is to make/keep separate folders for ‘standard’ GC/FW and download holey linked versions to a new folders. Upload and run from there. This way to can always switch if you feel like.

1 Like

massive edit, I found my problem with the calibration

is there no chain sag factor?

I also though that you asked for the weight of the sled somewhere?

2 Likes

No. There is no chain-sag factor. I concluded that you could more accurately measure the weight of the sled than the deltas from chain-sag.

My mistake. I forgot to commit one change to the repository. I added the widget, but forgot to commit the change which actually shows it as part of the calibration process. I just did it now. Now the sled weight should be there, as part of the calibration.

4 Likes

it looks like you didn’t push the commit up to github yet

It is in the schmittjoshc/GroundControl fork. I just double-checked it.

Did you check out the new fork, and test it? Maybe I did something else wrong.