How do I account for the diameter of the router bit?

My router can take 1/4" and 1/2" diameter shafts. How do I adjust the software to account for the width of the slots created?

In makercam when you set up a cut it will ask for the diameter of the bit (the cutting part) that is all you need.

1 Like

When you are in your cam software (like makercam) and are setting your operations (profile, pocket, drill, or follow path) is where you set your tool diameter (.25 or .5 for 1/4 or 1/2 bits, .125 for 1/8 bits - remember this is for the cutting end, not the collet end of the bit) along with depth of cut, depth of material or in pocket operations the target depth. In profile operations you can set it for inside or outside of the cut line and counter clockwise or clockwise (for the bit to cut properly in most cases you want counter clockwise and you want it to be on the waste side of the line (outside the line for cutting out the main piece, and inside the line for any holes or slots on the inside of the main piece. There are several beginner videos for makercam on youtube.
Hope this helps

1 Like

What software are you using?

1 Like

I was hoping that was the answer. I just ordered the Maslow today, so Iā€™m trying to get ready for it. Thanks, everybody.

1 Like