Linkage kits are now available! šŸŽ‰

Ha! Itā€™s okay, I should have tested it again before I committed to the cotter pin idea! I have no excuse!

I mentioned it in the other thread, but they do seem to clear. Note I turned them on their ā€œsideā€ instead of up and downā€¦ that allowed a little more clearance, but I think it would be fine either way.

They are certainly easier to get ahold of :slight_smile:

1 Like

Drawings filesā€¦

@pillageTHENburn - Iā€™m not sure if you intended your design to be ā€œopen sourceā€ or not, so please forgive if this is a bad ask :slight_smile:

Wondered if you had the CAD files for your kit available anywhereā€¦ Started to work on a sled layout to cut to have a nice, cleanly cut setup instead of my hand-done one and realized I donā€™t have the exact hole spacing dimensions. I can measure, obviously, but figured it would remove one level of inaccuracy to just work off the original design.

Alternatively, did you have a chance to work on a CAD drawing of the sled with the holes for the linkages marked?

Sorry to ask for more work :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Bruce

Andā€¦ my stab at it as a learning onshape personā€¦

No guaranteesā€¦

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/b1bb97b6c472e8f20e93ae97/w/3afeef94d2b5a662d4c5a31b/e/7e43a1d50020171feccf24de

Note, I included a stab at mounting holes for a R2202 router, which it seems like is closest to ā€œstandardā€ (itā€™s what I have :-))ā€¦

I have NOT cut one of these and tried it yet.

2 Likes

Totally! I usually design in Illustrator so I donā€™t have actual proper CAD files but I have an .ai file Iā€™d be happy to share. Iā€™m not entirely certain my files would be of any use to someone using a router to cut them out because I laid everything out for a laser specifically but perhaps it would be a starting point?
For the kit Iā€™m using 9" between centers for the hole spacing. The actual measurement doesnā€™t really matter as long as itā€™s consistent (and clears the router etc.).

I donā€™t know onshape at all but that sled looks legit! What spacing do you have for the linkage mounts?

I did finally make a drill template with instructions! Download the PDF here!
This is a first attempt so if you try it

[quote=ā€œpillageTHENburn, post:25, topic:704ā€]
Totally! I usually design in Illustrator so I donā€™t have actual proper CAD files but I have an .ai file Iā€™d be happy to share. Iā€™m not entirely certain my files would be of any use to someone using a router to cut them out because I laid everything out for a laser specifically but perhaps it would be a starting point?[/quote]

For myself, I wasnā€™t looking to cut a set (as I have your great ones :-)), but more to use components ā€œelectronicallyā€ to help lay out my sled, etc.

I measured my linkage and went with 9"ā€¦ seems I was right :slight_smile:

Oh! Iā€™m sorry, I misunderstood! Iā€™m glad it worked out!

No worries, all good :slight_smile:

The PDF link I posted above was apparently to an ā€œoldā€ version of the template. It was way more complicated than it needed to be. I thought I had updated the link but apparently I hadnā€™t. I fixed it now.
Hereā€™s the correct link: Linkage drill template

3 Likes

@pillageTHENburn, Have you posted the appropriate calibration number for the sled kit? Sorry if Iā€™ve overlooked it :

It should be about 269.7mm from the center of the bit to the bit-side face of piece G2 (where the cotter pin in the chain rests). If we are measuring the actual chain then youā€™d have to subtract whatever amount of chain protrudes in past that face on G2. This amount will differ slightly (<~1mm?) depending on if you use the original Maslow cotter pins through the space in the chain; or if you run a pin through the actual chain pin hole.

1 Like

Thereā€™s also a new auto calibration function which should find it automatically :grinning:

Mine converged to

So maybe it even works! :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Finished assembling my kit! Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__VClHnD8M

5 Likes

Very nice!

Good jobā€¦ looking forward to how it works for youā€¦

@pillageTHENburn is there a design file I can look at, or something theoretical I can read?

When I search for ā€œtriangular kinematicā€ or similar I get horribly sidetracked and confused :slight_smile:

Any more accuracy tests

Yes! The files I have are .ai files designed specifically for a laser cutter (so they are not typical CAD) but Iā€™d be happy to share them! I added most of the development updates in the thread throwing my hat in the sled modification ring. But I know that thread is prohibitively long so here are some ā€œchapter markersā€ for you :slight_smile:

• This is the original concept and also the reason why many people still call it a pantograph (though technically all current versions are double-crank parallelogram four bar linkage mechanisms. I plan to do a short writeup explaining the simple misconception soon)
  • This post sort of explains the different concepts for linkages, this post was made very early on and the diagrams are not to scale at all. But it lists my different original design ideas and most of the criteria that must be met in order to make them function properly. (Iā€™ve since had a few other ideas but havenā€™t posted them yet).
  • This post has some better diagrams of the 45Ėš version.

Also @dlang put together a relatively comprehensive overview of the triangular vs quadrilateral kinematics issue here:

Hopefully that helps clear it up a little? Perhaps this is not what you were askingā€¦

4 Likes

What is the lead time on your linkage kits you are selling?

Iā€™m a bit behind at the moment because I was waiting on a shipment of specialty hardware (and more wood) but that has since come in and I am filling orders again as fast as I can (I have many hours of late night laser cutting in my future). Most of the people who have ordered them do not yet have a Maslow so it hasnā€™t been a big problem for them, but I can work with you if you need it sooner. Just let me know and I will see what I can do.

2 Likes

Hi @pillageTHENburn, I just ordered the linkage kit thought I donā€™t have the Maslow kit or equivalent parts yet.

You mentioned that youā€™d be willing to supply the SVG, .ai or other source design files under a free/libre license. Have you done this already? If so, could you point to where this was made available? If not, would it be possible to put them somewhere (and with the appropriate license) so that we can take a look? Maybe the MaslowCNC Mechanics repo?

Thanks!

1 Like