Metal Frame/Sled Build Log

that may end up being a bit on the heavy side, you may want to remove a little
weight if you can (and it’s stable with less weight)

the problem with a heavy sled is cutting along the top, you can run out of power
as you move side to side and the sled ends up drooping, and then hooking up at
the end

David Lang

Using the google drive sheet, what’s the maximum force that’s considered acceptable and/or desireable? When I put in the parameters for my setup, the current max is listed at 35.7 lb. If needed I can remove some material on the backside of the plate to lower the weight

we don’t have a really good handle on what’s ‘too much’

There is an example with a 20 pound sled, we consider that too much. beyond
that, we try to keep it below the stock frame.

David Lang

Love this topic and frame design, verry inspiring.
I’ve been reading it from top to bottom.
just a tought on the weight “issue”, why not make the back frame a wood storage?
It will make use of the “lost” space and add the wanted weight to the frame.

1 Like

Some people have done exactly that, the stock design focused on simplicity and
the ability to built it with minimal tools.

David Lang

I might be missing something here. I was under impression that the stock sled was ~ 20lb. At least that’s what is in the Chain Geometry spreadsheet. Is that not the case? I was basing some of the weight of my sled because it had approximately the same maximum force as the 20lb “stock” sample, but a more than doubled minimum tension. Thanks for the help!

That is probably the best thing to do! I feel dumb for not thinking about bolting an angle on the backside for storing plywood. Duh!

this is typo, he meant 30 lb sled.
I think with your super low friction sled, & 24" motor height, you will be fine.

typo, I meant 30 pound sled

1 Like

Since the Open Builds offerings have several options, I wonder if they would be interested in offering a version that requires less modification (dare I dream of no modification?).

2 Likes

I am looking to have a sled laser cut also. Is there a drawing somewhere with dimensions of the holes for the mounting brackets for the ring. It seems like it should be out there, but I can’t seem to find it.

Also curious, why did you not have the holes cut out when they were laser cutting the sled?

Hi,

would it be possible to get a copy of the modified vacuum adapter?

Thank you!