Metalmaslow encoder settings?

I will try that, the error never came up until after I entered the calibration values during the initial Holey calibration. Is there anything else I need to change to make sure I have settings right or is the quick configure enough?

if you don’t have the chains marked so that you can reset them to a known
position, you have to go through the calibration steps again to get them to a
known position. The values of the calibration aren’t what matters here (well,
they matter for getting the cut where you want them, but not for the machine
thinking that it’s out of position), just that the machine is told what the
chain lengths are.

This is the ‘set sprocket to 12 o’clock’ routine that you have probably seen
mentioned.

David Lang

So that kinda worked. It allowed me to get the sled to move again, started the calibration cut and it went to the top center hole and just sat there. After I while I hit stop and attempted to move the sled again, it moves. However the z axis doesn’t. I checked settings and I can’t find anything different from before when it worked fine.

I can to the motor test and all the axis move just fine.

I’m using Ubuntu, what file contains the settings? I want to delete or rename that and start from scratch.

Is the tab switched over to z axis installed in settings? That gets me every time.

If you want a full wipe. I did it by wiping the controller and EEPROM. Then shutting it down, delete the .webcontrol folder (has the period in front, may be hidden in your home folder). Hidden filed can be seen by “Control H”. Restart (may give error first start, second one will work)

Before you wipe, go to settings menu and then Maslow settings like Tim mentioned. In there is a z axis enabled switch that needs to be in the on position. It’s default is off. If it is on, then verify the motor connections. The small connector on the z axis motor has been the issue numerous times. The recommended practice is to zip tie that cable to the motor for strain relief and then plug it in.

1 Like

I wish i would had waited for this metal maslow model…

I do have the older model and it kinda suxs “metal maslow” doesnt supply the encoder setting for his Z Axis motors. I did end up measuring how much it moves with a certain setting and then did adjust until the result did match the value of MM it should move. Cumbersome but works.

So the z-axis was enabled. Double checked all motor connections and decided to start fresh. After wiping the eeprom and controller settings, deleting the .webcontrol directory and starting from scratch with the setup and calibration it now appears to be working. I can move the sled around without issue after calibration. Now on to my first cut.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

2 Likes