Motor distance question

First off, it may be worth waiting for 1.03 to get released later today. I know that the UK is ahead of us, so it may not be until the evening that you see it. The new update will include a new calibration pattern that should be easier and more accurate than the current one. I’ve been trying to follow it’s progress but I’m sure it will all make a lot more sense to me when I’m actually running the procedure myself :wink:

That being said, I can try and help you through calibrating the machine. I use a manual process myself because I haven’t had much success with the automatic routine.

Did you notice any sag in your tape measure? If not, then I would start with that measurement. Maybe it’s the steel fabricator in me, but I feel like I trust my tape measure more right now. That’s subject to change with the new update. With that measurement plugging into GC, cut (or draw) a 4in (~100mm) square into a scrap piece. Check the X and Y legs of it to see how far off the measurements are from one another. Ground Control has a simulator which will help you figure out what variables need to change in order to dial the machine in. In a lot of cases, in my experience, tweaking the distance between motors is how I get the machine within tolerance. So you ultimately may find that your measurement will end up closer to the machine’s measured distance.

Do you have a linkage kit, the ring, or the stock brackets? That also has a lot of an effect on calibration. Quadrilateral (stock) kinematics are a bit more tricky, and you have to tweak with the sled mounting points a little more to get the machine calibrated. Triangular (Linkages or ring) kinematics are quite a bit simpler, as you only have to tweak the rotation radius.

From what I understand, that isn’t currently implemented, but is under development. Discussion thread here. There’s a link to a Github pull request at the end of the thread which leads you to a more thorough description of the updated calibration routine, as well. Not sure if chain sag calculations are being included in today’s update, but it would be sweet if it was! :smiley:

You and me both. o.O
I dove a bit into the wikipedia rabbit hole and I’m not sure I actually absorbed anything. I now know a little bit more about the existance of hyperbolic functions, though! xD
Makes me really appreciate the amount of work being put into the chain sag calculations!

1 Like