Must have router bits for maslow?

I have purchase and used tons of shorter flat and round two flute XCAN endmills from for my smaller gantry mill. i recommend them becasue they are dirt cheap, last long time, and you can always have a fresh sharp bit around.

I’ve cut 3/8 aluminum on a 3018 mill with these $2 bits. of course test them on scrap before your $60 plywood.

2 Likes

Considering getting this set since I expect to wear through these pretty regularly.

I understand the considerations re: # flutes, up/down/compression/straight cuts, etc.

For those with more experience, does anything other than the price stand out as a reason to pass on this deal?

1 Like

they look fairly good, you would need to test them to see how well they plunge
straight in, I can’t tell.

given the maslow is pretty slow with a fast spindle, fewer flues is probably
better

compression bits only work if you are cutting deep enough to have both the upcut
and downcut portions in operation at the same time (which really means they are
good for full depth trimming after getting close to final size by other means)

David Lang

2 Likes

It checks the carbide box only downside is your depth of cut is limited to 10mm. I never used a single flute though…

1 Like

If you are buying any bits from alibaba, do not use them with the standard 1/4" collet. You will need a 1/4" to 6mm collet. Otherwise the bit will likely come flying out of your router. Not fun… .lol I know technically 6mm is 1/4", but not in the world of CNC routing. 1/4" is 6.3mm. That .3mm makes a huge difference.

1 Like

true but you can use 6mm with an ER11 adapter and a 6mm collet. and you can cut the shaft shorter

That is just an extension. Unless it is specifically designed for 6mm bits, which all bits from China are, you are taking a big risk that you or someone in the immediate vicinity will get injured. They make 1/4 to 6mm collets. I bought them. When I tried (when I fist bought them) using the 6mm bits from AliExpress, it came flying out like a bullet. Luckily I stepped away right before it happened. Just saying stay safe and use the right hardware before you end up injured.

Here is the link to where I bought my collet adaptors for the DWP611 router.
Dewalt Router Collets - Elaire Corp

I am familiar with Elaire I also buy from them.
But this is not just an extension it converts using 1/4" shank your router to ER11 system so you can install the appropriate ER11 collet 6mm, 5mm, 4mm, 3.5mm. etc. etc.

the problem with converters like that is the length of the adapter. The maslow
only has ~2.5" of travel.

that is why I got the kobalt router that hasa er11 chuck.

David Lang

The router you got, does that work with the M4? Can you tell me the specific model of your router?

No, not without some modifications. You need to add some dimension to the diameter and find a way to mount the PCB. Mine is Kobalt 1-1/4 HP Trim Router 7 AMP #5207238

@dlang regarding the converter, you can always cut it down shorter. It still takes up Z range, about a half inch or so. To cut it you can place it in a drill press and spin then use a grinder with a cutting wheel to take care of business.

1 Like

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-4-in-7-Amp-1-25-HP-Variable-Speed-Trim-Corded-Router/5014100299

need to shim it out, I did so with fiberglass tape wrapped around it.

David Lang

But does it work on the M4?

Joseph wrote:

But does it work on the M4?

that’s what I have assembled right now

I’ll get a pic of it tomorrow

2 Likes