Part programming

I see everyone uses cad packages to design there projects.
Maybe a stupid question could you just input a program manually using G codes. chaning the speed would not be an option that would be governed by the router. also using m code for option top to maybe change a tool part way through a cycle

Gcode is gcodeā€¦ either generated by CAM software or generated manually. Iā€™ve generated some gcode manuallyā€¦ just becomes a bit of a pain to do by hand so I use CAM software most of the time even for simple things.

2 Likes

Does the maslow firmware support an M6 tool change?

Iā€™ve also manually written g code, actually just yesterday for some tests on another router. Iā€™ve written small programs to write test g code in the past too. Copy and paste can be your friend, and a tool path simulator a big help.

Thereā€™s a number of free g code creating programs, but they require designing the part first. Just curious, why do you want to write g code?

no, but you can use the T command to change tools

David Lang

Yes, but the firmware seems to expect that the Tool number precedes the M6 command in the same line: ā€˜T3 M6ā€™
It pauses and prompts ā€œPlease insert tool Xā€ where X is the T number of the gcode line, if the T number doesnā€™t match the current T number. The default tool number is 0. The yellow pause button changes to ā€˜Resume Cutā€™ when the Tx M6 is executed.
I donā€™t think these have been used much as there isnā€™t a way to calibrate the z axis during the pause.

1 Like

You can adjust the z-axis and set zero during a pause condition. Iā€™ve done it beforeā€¦ too many times.

4 Likes

I used EdytorNC when I was writing programs by hand in school. I like the way it color codes as you type in your program. I like to look over my CAM generated G-code in Edytor as well, just to make sure there isnā€™t anything that stands out as being ridiculous.

I have worked on c n c lathes, milling machine and plasma profiling machines and all of the machine required me to input information on the machine using g code. I had very little experience using c a d to draw the product that then write program for the machine. Only the profile machine had a nesting ad ability. Not sure I know much about c a d and feel comfortable using g codes

3 Likes

First time Iā€™ve heard of edytornc, looks worth checking out. Sourceforge links to a web site, but it just returns a ā€œWe killed G+ā€ page. I miss G+, much better crowd than FacePlant

Notepad++ has g code coloring but the day I was trying to download it GitHub and Chrome on my PC were having a tiff. Just had to stare at unadulterated textā€¦

There were guys that used Notepad++ but I found EdytorNC and liked it so I didnā€™t bother switching. I actually downloaded it specifically for programming simple 2D parts for the Maslow ā€œthe old fashioned way.ā€ I never tried G+ but I stay away from faceplant as much as I can.

1 Like