Recommended cad/cam software 4 maslow4

I thought i heard a recimmendation for software and am unable to locate. Is there a recommended software to at seast start with.

1 Like

The main Maslow site has a list: Software Guide — Maslow

Another option that’s been mentioned here on the forms a few times:

1 Like

Thank you. I have been doing OK with inkscape. Most of the recommended programs I have had trouble with. But this time u managed Openbuilds and find it interesting initially. Think I will try learning to see if I can manage it. Not sure what download problems I experienced prior.

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

1 Like

Inkscape is reasonable for making 2d designs, but it’s harder to make everything
the right dimension.

I would suggest that you give Onshape and Fusion 360 a try

David Lang

Dlang
Normally I like your input. I am having great difficulty trying to understand the different cad/cam software options. Cannot even begin to get objects to draw on the screen. It might mean I need my machine for trial and error. I am beginning to think I may need to just manually type gcode for commands. Recently trial of photoVcarve gave me great results. There was also a version of photo conversion that worked for me just not as well at least in demo. My mind feels it is cramping. I have a much younger brother dying of dementia. He likely does not even know when someone visits him. When I worked it was in high technology at least for the time. I feel I need to be able to create some good or I wonder why I am still alive. I have difficulty with small screws. I purchased a Curality 3d printer and it died on my second project. I have not been able to get new circuit board installed. I am trying. But there is a good chance my mind is not up to the task.

Yahoo Mail: Search, Organize, Conquer

Estlecam is simple and actually very sophisticated:

3 Likes

Martha Montgomery wrote:

Normally I like your input. I am having great difficulty trying to understand
the different cad/cam software options. Cannot even begin to get objects to
draw on the screen. It might mean I need my machine for trial and error. I am
beginning to think I may need to just manually type gcode for commands.

there are multiple steps here, making the model, and converting the model to
gcode. You should treat them as separate problems.

The first step, making the model is where you see what tool fits your way of
thinking. There are lots of videos online that teach you how to use onshape and
fusion360 (including from onshape and autodesk directly), watch some of them to
see if either of them can fit the way that you think.

David Lang

1 Like

gazinux wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hMzCRx0Uk

This is one of the many tools for the 2nd step, turning your 3d model into gcode

David Lang

i am trying to learn estlcam as i type. i find enormous lack of instructions. if i can copy a pre downloaded part, i can manage a few things, but to start from scratch is impossible for me. I need instructions. YOUTUBE does not help me. looks like latest manual is vs 7 when download is 12. lots of foreign languages but english is not well used.

Martha Montgomery

| dlang
April 18 |

• | - |

gazinux wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9hMzCRx0Uk

This is one of the many tools for the 2nd step, turning your 3d model into gcode

David Lang

youtube has not worked for me. i believe tutorials are not kept up to date, trying to watch and make same moves id impossible as drop downs do not match. at least with inscape the written pdf instructions work as explained. the software cost is not the problem but i refuse to purchase like i did software that i could not comprehend and support stinks.

Martha Montgomery

| dlang
April 18 |

• | - |

Martha Montgomery wrote:

Normally I like your input. I am having great difficulty trying to understand
the different cad/cam software options. Cannot even begin to get objects to
draw on the screen. It might mean I need my machine for trial and error. I am
beginning to think I may need to just manually type gcode for commands.

there are multiple steps here, making the model, and converting the model to
gcode. You should treat them as separate problems.

The first step, making the model is where you see what tool fits your way of
thinking. There are lots of videos online that teach you how to use onshape and
fusion360 (including from onshape and autodesk directly), watch some of them to
see if either of them can fit the way that you think.

David Lang

I think you are correct. I think i have been trying to use cad software for cam and the other way around.
Etslcam does seem to work well for cam software. I found a cad program online called Progycad professional that seems to be cheap version of autocad. It seems it can be of use to me for more than just cnc work. Can Progycad and ETSLCAM team together to become a good combo?