Slack Chain Hassles

hmm, one minor item is that with too much weight, at some point the tension on
the rope is higher than the tension on the chain, which will cause some loss of
accuracy as the backlash of the gearbox will come into play.

I need to get going, can someone check what the tension is at it’s lowest (max
chain extended to reach the far corner). If it’s still > 10 pounds (remember the
chain is doubled), we don’t have a problem, if it drops below that there is some
accuracy loss (although I’ll bet that the standard aproach with stronger bungee
cords has the same problem)

Thats weird, I have 4 lbs on each end with no slack, jumps or binds.

Would the double pulley setup reduce weight on the chains?

From the looks of your last picture I think your pulley setup would reduce the amount of force on the chains by half.

Correct with 4 pulleys, the weight is reduced, and friction is introduced. however I feel that is more important then misalignments with rope and chains rubbing on wood.

Yes I agree. I was just talking out why you required so much more weight then me. If you figure in the pulleys, it’s not really that much more.

I’m sorry, but no one has mentioned the SF2 Turbo cabinet behind this pic?! Very cool. New to the Maslow game and this is a cool solution.

Following everyone else here. I still need to change over to paracord, but using an old PLA spool, I was able to create a makeshift pulley system to keep the chains tighter. The pulley is more of just a smooth surface to redirect the cord more than roll along because of the opposite sliding direction of the cord travel

2 Likes