The Maximized Maslow4

As I have mentioned in other threads, I am planning a horizontal Maslow4 installation on the floor of my 1-car garage (well maybe 1-1/2 car, but I don’t think many families had 1-1/2 cars in the early 1960s when the garage was built). Putting the anchors about as far out as the belts will reach is to my advantage both due to the increased accuracy at the middle of the sides of the work piece, but also to get the anchor points out near the walls where they won’t be driven over.

I extended one of my belts as far as it would go and measured about 4400 mm (14’ 5") from the anchor point to the router axis. I decided I wanted to use about 4300 mm (14’ 1") of that to have a little just-in-case length left.

I then built a spreadsheet to come up with the “best” layout. My first attempt was to assume I wanted a uniform margin around a 2440x1220 mm (4’x8’) work piece. This was relatively easy to calculate anchor dimensions of 4738x3519 mm (15’ 6"x11’6"), but after looking at my solution, I decided that this was not optimal because the angles along the long sides of the work piece would be much less favorable than on the short sides.

In my second attempt, I sought to make the angle from the anchor points to the midpoints of the sides equal, for maximum pulling force at those critical midpoints. This calculation was a little more difficult. I had to find the solution iteratively. The end result was anchor dimensions of 4455x3922 mm (14’ 7"x12’ 10"). I plugged these dimensions into @dlang’s javascript frame visualizer and it shows I have about 300 mm (1’) space between the short sides and the red zones and about 500 mm (1’ 8") space between the long sides and the red zones.

In truth, I probably over-thought this, but I’m an engineer, so that’s what I do. :laughing:

2 Likes