Troubleshooting

Got my maslow4 up and running cut my first design made from carbide create gcode.
Thought that i had figured it out but now iam running into new issues iam not able to find a solution. Using wifi connection

Very commonly my maslow4 lost connection and had to restart all over again. For some reason my settings such as the work area dimensions are not being saved and every time i have to restart it I have to

Remove maslow4 from frame
Retract all belts
Extract all belts
And recalibrate every single time.

It works fine until I loose connection or restart cnc, having trouble understanding what has to be done to avoid this and start trouble shooting my other issues.

Other issues,
Are how to properly adjust z zero because i need a certain depth channel on my piece, my first cut wasnt deep enough and my second cut was too deep. My gcode have been revised and no issues, we used to use the paper method on my old cnc but in this iam not sure how to do it.

1 Like

Remove maslow4 from frame
Retract all belts
Extract all belts
And recalibrate every single time.

you should not need to recalibrate.

what firmware version are you on? there was a bug that was fixed a few weeks ago
that caused it to overwrite the maslow.yaml config under some failure
conditions.

And there was a big wifi bug fixed in this weeks (0.78.1) release.

It works fine until I loose connection or restart cnc, having trouble understanding what has to be done to avoid this and start trouble shooting my other issues.

Other issues,
Are how to properly adjust z zero because i need a certain depth channel on my piece, my first cut wasnt deep enough and my second cut was too deep. My gcode have been revised and no issues, we used to use the paper method on my old cnc but in this iam not sure how to do it.

IMHO the best option is to put a metal ruler under the maslow and clip a
continuity meter (the type that beeps) to the ruler and the bit. lower until it
beeps

David Lang

2 Likes

Yes, this is the current state of the firmware. any time it restarts, you have to do the steps you mention (one exception, see below). This is high on the list of things to fix, but its not there yet.

HOWEVER, you do NOT have to recalibrate after the first successful calibration unless you move to another frame or adjust your anchors. You can always just copy the values from your post-calibration maslow.yaml (download this on the FluidNC tab, folder icon and save it somewhere.). You should be able to just set the maslow_xxx values from your calibration any time you upgrade to a new release, and they should be saved over restarts of the machine. so once you get the anchors connected instead of “calibrate” just “apply tension” and you should be good to jog around, set your home, etc. The X/Y home are almost always retained, so once you get the machine back on and tight, you should be able to hit home and it will go to x/y home.

so, there are two things with Z:

• machine home (steppers all the way down) which is set during calibration (or can be explicitly on the settings dialog when you have manually set the maslow all the way to the bottom and it clicks)
  • workpiece home. for this you hit the z button, move the router down until the bit is just touching the workpiece, then hit define Z home and jog it back up (so it does not drag around the workpeice and mar it, don’t ask me how I know :slight_smile:

The paper method is not practical with maslow, since you don’t really have access with the sled in the way, but some methods I’ve used are

• as I lower Z, I watch for the sled to raise itself up by the bit then back off my 1mm and set home
  • slide a flat strip of metal with a continuity tester attached on one end and clip the other end to the bit. When you lower the bit and the continuity tester lights up, you set Z there.
1 Like

I believe iam on 73 tried uograding to 78 but it was crashing not sure why, so went back to 73 I believe it is. I guess ill start looking into trying again.

Ill try that method for the z

1 Like