Using 1/8 and 1/16 inch bits

Anyone using smaller router bits?

I had good success with Freud Double flute straight bits. 1/8 and 1/16. Great precision.

The I LOVE BEER bottles in the pic were made with a 1/8 in on the left (1/4 in redwood laminated to 1/8 inch ply) Height 9 inches.
The smaller one using a 1/16 on 5mm mahogany.

IMG_1732

7 Likes

Holy cow 1/16! What was your speed and depth per pass?
I just bought a 1/8” down cut spiral to try.

The max depth per pass I’ve used so far for both bits is 3.2mm.
With the 5mm mahogany, I like to do a least 4 passes to get a nice clean cut to avoid sanding so each pass is about .8mm.

I never use tabs either. The end piece just pops right out.

2 Likes

I have been using these for the past 6 sheets of 3/4" ply.
i usually do .4" deep per pass. get most parts cut out in 2 passes.

I have to replace the bit about every 3-4 sheets but they are cheep enough to go through them.

1 Like

I have used the Freud 1/16" double flute straight bit to great success. I also have an Amana Tool 1/8" double flute straight, which also works well. I’ve been really cautious with both bits, and only do 1/16" and 1/8" passes respectively.

1 Like

I have been using 1/32nd inch bits for several projects that require more detail.

1/16th is gigantic when you want fine detail. Maslow has no problems at all with 1/32nd of an inch.

I built my frame back in July, but I haven’t posted until now so I don’t know if I can post pictures yet.

Paul

2 Likes

haha, I’ve bought two of these packs thinking they were 1/4 bit. Doh!

Your post is nearly a year old, but I just found it. You cut 10 mm per pass with a 1/8" bit? I cooked my nearly new 1/4" 2-flute upcut from maker made (3rd cut) 5 mm per pass at 750 mm/min. The tip is black now. So I now have some rapidfire questions:
What router speed setting are you using and what is your feed rate / speed?
Do you have to sand a ton with the fuzzies on the edges from the upcut?
What grade of 3/4" ply were you using?
At a bit length of 1.5", is there any issue getting down close enough to the work piece through the sled thickness (are you using meticulous)?
How much bit do you chuck in the router?

I don’t think the plunge setup I have will let the router get close enough to cut all the way through 3/4" ply… I’m using a “stock” makermade sled. Any information you can provide would be helpful. Thanks!

since this post i have changed to .27" for 3 passes rather tha .4" for 2 passes. i seam to get a bit more life out of each bit.

What router speed setting are you using and what is your feed rate / speed? 12k-15k i have etselcam set to 50ipm for the feed

Do you have to sand a ton with the fuzzies on the edges from the upcut? a bit. nothing a quick sand wont fix.

What grade of 3/4" ply were you using? homedepo claims it is an acx ply.

At a bit length of 1.5", is there any issue getting down close enough to the work piece through the sled thickness (are you using meticulous)? standard rigid router setup for now. i will probably design a 3d printed version when i find some time.

How much bit do you chuck in the router? i will have to check on that one. i mad a quick jig a while back to set the depth and forgot what i set it to.

i routed out a pocket on the sled for the rigid router base to sit in, i have about .25" of material left. this allows for a bit more cutting depth.

1 Like

This is great information!! THANK YOU!!

Followup question: How did you get maslow to go over 800 mm/min (50 ipm = 1270 mm/min)? 30 ipm is coded as an upper speed limit