Wall Hanging Collapsible Frame

I am not sure if this is in the right section, but I am finally getting around to having time to build my frame now that it is cooling off. I have limited space so I wanted to make a frame that hangs on the wall, and can fold down/against the wall when I am not using it. Has anyone done this? I saw some posts about frames that fold up but were not attached to a wall. Pictures would be appreciated if anyone has any suggestions!

2 Likes

read the topic Musings on frame design and
think about the criteria that it lays out and build things based on those
criteria

Not recommended, but might help with inspiration. If I would do it again I would have 2 more 2x4 downward to the left and right of the plywood to mount stripes of the material to cut to give the sled an even support when cutting near the edge.
Black Stock frame, orange my frame.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. What angle did you end up putting your frame at?

15 degrees is stock design, but people have gone as low as 10 degrees if I remember correctly.

You certainly asked the right guy about the angle - @Gero’s frame is hinged to the wall with a car jack at the bottom to adjust the angle :smile:. I tried to find the picture on the old forum, but no joy… his post about it is in this thread .

I started with 6° but noticed a twist of the sled when the bit went into the material. Increased to 10° now. With a new chain mount design I might go down to 8°.

@Gero
What was the total width of your setup? How wide do you have the motors setup? I’d like to setup a similar frame but only have 11’ at the widest.
@TNTahan
Did you end up with a collapsible frame?

1 Like

I think I may have found my answer.

I’ll just go as wide as possible. In the 11’ alcove space I have.

1 Like

the stock frame is a little under 10’ wide, so 11’ is a nice upgrade

1 Like

@dlang
Thanks, I’m going to press with that. Hopefully have it cutting before Christmas!

Will still not leave this unanswered :slight_smile: My frame is 3500mm ~ 11.48’ wide. My motors are 302cm ~ 9.9’ apart. I wanted to stay close to the stock distance and kept some space to play with.

Only my personal believe: I think quotes like this and that there is no ideal ratio between hight and width are the result of that we just have to many variables to calculate that precisely. In my ideal dream world, it must exist. It is near a ratio of 2:1 is my superstition. If your faith can be a substitute for pure facts and science, you could try to have the motor width at 11’ and the bottom beam, were your sheet rests on, at 5.5’. The effusions of a drunken man about this can be found here: Is there an optimum ratio between width and hight?

1 Like

@Gero @dlang
Thanks for the link. I’ve been lurking for quite awhile but took a break due to other projects. Now that I’m back into this, looks like I have much more reading to catch up on.

1 Like