Y axis is off position after calibration

I have my machine back together with a longer/higher beam and have gone through the manual calibration and the Y axis is 35mm to low when I move it to center.

distance between motors = 3632.2
rotational radius = 134
motor height above work surface = 546.1
triangular
bottom feed

I have the standard ring on a sled I cut without fully calibrating the machine, which is very close to proper size.

I had a larger Y error due to a small error in the motor height. The error is now 1/2 what it was. Should I just adjust the motor height to get the center to line up?

Tony

distance between motors = 3632.2
just under 12’

does this match what you measure manually with a tape measure?

rotational radius = 134

this is incorrect, it should be ~140

motor height above work surface = 546.1
triangular
bottom feed

I have the standard ring on a sled I cut without fully calibrating the machine, which is very close to proper size.

I had a larger Y error due to a small error in the motor height. The error is now 1/2 what it was. Should I just adjust the motor height to get the center to line up?

not really, because there are probably other issues which mean that if you tweak
the numbers manually, you will still not be cutting staight lines.

David Lang

Thanks David,

Yes that is what the motors measure. 12’ beam with the brackets flush with the ends.

I changed the rotational radius to 140, via another manual calibration with all other values the same and the sled moved to the center as it should.

Thanks again,
Tony

Are you sure you wan’t triangular there? That would be my first suspect

After I closed shop last night, I realized that the old forum threads I had been reading, which lead me to change to triangular, were probably referring to a sled with the chain attached to the solid brackets and not the ring style.

Am I correct in my new belief that triangular is only for the old style with the chains attaching to the rigid mount, and quadrilateral is for both the ring mount and the linkage system?

Thanks,
Tony

1 Like

Oh, I was correct when I thought I was mistaken.

Ring=Triangular

In the photo I see the rubber bands holding the router positively down in the Z axis. Good idea!

Thank you Gero
Tony

3 Likes