Z-axis drilling/plunge is the only place I've seen browning/heavy friction

Based on your link in a previous ‘speed up’ thread I’ve got a set of larger gears for the X-Y motors, I’m holding off on them until we get some machines really humming well and I’m more comfortable with really tuning the Fusion360 paths.

To that end I started a Spreadsheet here for Feeds and Speeds observations/experiences and a detailed checklist for Fusion360 CAM settings, so I can begin to build up a library of Presets.

I’m currently using McMaster bits as they seem easily replaceable and, at least in the USA, immediately accessible to everyone.

I’ve had some excellent cuts with no tear-out on the entry at all, and I’m going to try to layout CAM operations to do ~60-70% cuts using that and flipping to an up-spiral for the finishing operations.

I’ll get a set of Maslow branded bits once they return to full stock.

3 Likes

Do you guys think this would replace the stock z axis? My options are a bit more limited being in Canada.

I need a bit more speed and this one looks to be high enough torque but not crazy amperage draw.

Thanks

possibly, note that the stall torque of this motor is 3A, that’s enough to blow
the stock motor controller chips

2 Likes

Would you mind starting a new thread for this? The detailed results need a clear home separate from the more…theoretical?..planning we’ve been doing in the Max Feedrate thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m happy to but it’ll be a few weeks (2) before I’ll be able to post my results, I’ve got some travel coming up this week and next.

I haven’t yet had the chance to test everything and make sure i’m not wildly off. (I don’t think I am, based on my successful cuts so far, but I want to test again before sharing)

In addition to my upcoming travel, I have some upgrades to make to my Sled to incorporate some of the solutions to the Ridgid screw-slop.

I’ve plowed through most of the relevant 2D-Operations in Fusion360 and made up a separate sheet for each operation including all the tabs in Fusion’s CAM processes. It was quite enlightening, and helped me get my head around each operation, and more importantly, some of their setting’s subtle differences.

I recommend the exercise whole heartedly!

2 Likes