Z axis Inch/min?

My toolpaths are not working well due to unknown Z axis ipm. I have searched the forums and elsewhere and can’t seem to find the answer. What is the ipm of the Z with default motor?

That is a little bit of a tricky question. The maximum speed that the software will allow the z-axis to move is defined by:

float zMaxFeed = sysSettings.maxZRPM * abs(zAxis.getPitch());

Where by default the maximum rpm is defined as:

sysSettings.maxZRPM = 12.60;  // float maxZRPM;

So the maximum speed the z-axis can move will be dependent on what type of router you are using and how far that router moves per rotation.

What behavior are you seeing when it is not doing what you would like?

1 Like

It’s my understanding that while the firmware will do coordinated XYZ straight line (G0, G1) moves, it cannot do a z movement during a curve (G2, G3). A coordinated XYZ move will feed at the speed set by the gcodes in the program (F xxxx) unless that would cause the z axis to exceed the zMaxFeed value.

2 Likes

I did helical holes yesterday, it was over a hundered lines of g-code per hole, but they worked perfectly and much faster and cleaner then a pocket operation.

2 Likes

We are also having issues where sometimes (usually after a pocket) the XY moves before Z is fully retracted resulting in a gouge. We are generating G-code with ESTLcam and also with EASEL with GRBL output

The present versions of Maslow firmware will do coordinated XYZ movements for straight lines (G1 gcodes) but not for arcs (G2, G3). Could that be the reason? I’m not familiar with ESTLcam or the settings it offers. It looks very capable, but maybe more focused on full 3D machining than the Maslow is capable of doing.

How did y’all do the G2 G3 arcs? Are you using this for detail engraving? I am looking for ways to speed up my engraving on the maslow. Z axis appears to be the bottleneck

Yes it is, you need to get a faster motor to eliminate the bottleneck.

David Lang