Z-Axis Motor Wiring

Wow! That is a fantastic speed improvement.

Are you seeing any issues with the router not wanting to move up and down that quickly?

1 Like

Not really, It seems to be moving very nicely. I do wax the router body as well at the plunge mount so that may help with keeping it moving easily. Iā€™ll do a project post in a few minutes so you can see the cut I was working on.

6 Likes

I just finished my new sled with the alternative z axis. I am going to put that motor on there if it is working, it should work good with the ball screw setup.

6 Likes

That looks awesome! Yes, make sure you get the motor with the 270:1 gear ratio, and in the description it says that its the one that has 64 CPR. the other encoder definitely had something funny going on. The only other thing I did do which Iā€™m not sure actually changed anything or not, I set up a macro to send the command $18=20.0 per a post by @blurfl. With that command plus the motor with 131:1 gears, I have seen a great speed increase. The wiring was very straight forward if you use the Maslow cable and splice in the new motor. 5 of the wires match color for color, the only odd match was going from blue on the motor to orange on the Maslow cable. Here is a picture.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information!

2 Likes

Sorry for posting so far after the original but I have been looking at potentially making my Z Axis move quicker, based on the post you have the motor from Ebay along with the gears from the Amazon motor? I am just looking to see what you have so that I can hopefully duplicate it.

Thank you!

It looks like they offer the correct motor with the 131:1 gears on amazon now. Hereā€™s a link:

That is the same company that I bought mine from and in the desription it says that is does have 64 CPR.

3 Likes

Anyone have a link for the Connector parts needed to wire this up for the Stock Z-Axis wiring connector?

I thought based on what I saw above that it was just a matter of soldering the wires together and it looks that all but 1 are the same color. If you get the correct 64 CPR motor. I may be wrong though.

Yep, I just soldered them together and added some heat shrink.

1 Like

Boo! Sounds Good tho, and thanks for finding this!

Can you upload a video of this mythical high speed Z in action?

3 Likes

If it was me I would look for a 6 pin connector and solder that in for easy motor removal. I am nervous that I am going to damage my mega shield connectors.

Ok, I got the motor above that @brazz04 recommended. I installed and tried it. No faster and the distance traveled was off. I researched and called @bar. (Thanks Bar again) I did the math on the gear ratio x the CPR of 64 and got the larger number for the Maslow settings in Advanced and Encoder setting.
WOW, it ran fast. I put a small ruler on my slide for the Z axis and played with the numbers also with the screw pitch and it travels now faster and accurately on the slide up and down. I will attach a video of it in action moving .5 inch. I recommend this upgrade and it was fairly straightforward. It bolts right up like the supplied motor.

imageimage

6 Likes

What do you think of the 90:1 geared option of the same link as above? I have the same z rail I want to try and the torque is not THAT much less.

As far as I know, nobody has reported on any attempt to use one, so we donā€™t
know how well it would work.

I think it would probably work well, but someone needs to try it

2 Likes

Iā€™ve looked into it, but Iā€™m not ready to report. Most motors Iā€™ve found other than the Maslow z motor have 16cpr encoders instead of the stock 7cpr encoder, which overwhelm the Mega when trying to reach higher speeds. The symptom is loss of z-axis accuracy at settings of (maxZRPM) $18 higher than around 20 (default is 12.6). Iā€™m looking for a way to divide the quadrature down, but a bi-directional solution is proving hard to come up with. Links or experience would be welcomed :wink:.

2 Likes

What the hell, Iā€™ll guinea pig for yaā€¦ ordered one of these:

5 Likes

Look forward to hearing the results!

1 Like

Me too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ignore that link i had it is the 131:1 motor posted above. ā€¦

I ordered and installed that motor. When I test the motors in GC things work super super fast as expected for the z. Now though while cutting I see no speed increase for the z and the depth of cuts is deeper than desired.

I did the 131x64 as the new z encoder number is there something else I should be changing?

Confusedā€¦