2nd Ridgid router z-axis failed

the community is open. We are all owners/volunteers answering your questions. The only way the available kits change is if the kit sellers change them. The evolution of z axis came as this happened again and again, but to get a nicer z axis typically puts a kit at 2x the price. You can buy upgraded options or make your own meticulous or even morph your own variation of it if you like. I did my own since I thought the meticulous was a bit too large. I used a 200 mm long 8mm pitch ball screw kit from amazon with a 60 tooth 1/4" shaft size and 20 tooth 8 mm shaft size timing gear and belt. I used some plywood and screws to hold it together with a pocket jig. A 3D printed clamp would have worked as well, but I made one with a jig saw because I didn’t have a design for one.

post here.

The important part is to make sure the router is centered in the ring, and as long as the bit is perpendicular to the sled sliding surface and it doesn’t bind or have slop in it, it should work fine. I think I spent $40 on parts and it took some effort and time, but was totally worth it. If the thing flexes when it is cutting it may make a ton of noise and/or break bits. My system was loud because of the resonance of the clamp pieces, but it cut awesome and repeatable.

2 Likes