Q: How is the Advanced Frame Design, Advanced over the “Standard” frame design?
A: simple answer - It is for users that want to do larger materials then the 3/4 inch (Sheet Wood Materials, 29 mm, 23/32 thick).
It implies more complexity, more cost, & possibly more problems with calibration and use.
Software Team * Can you consider a option to flag your using and advance frame? This could be important for troubleshooting / supporting future frame builds. That is is a user has an advanced frame and it’s set for cutting 2x4 material . IE. 1.5 inch material but they forget to adjust it and are at 15 degree angle “new” problems related to the advanced design may be introduced that ALL Standard users would never encounter.
I have created this thread to break out discussion of Advance Vs Standard.
Here is the frame I’ve designed for the Maslow. I’ll need to fine tune it when my kit arrives, but this is what I have at this point. I know, I know, the first thing that comes to mind is “this is totally overbuilt”. However motor to substrate rigidity is essential to the Maslow design. Even a millimeter of flex in the frame contributes to less accuracy in the cut.
There are several issues I’ve tried to address with the construction:
Rigid construction to reduce flex in motor supports under load.
Adjustment for chain to substrate distance.
Adjustment for substrate frame angle
Skirt support for sled while cutting near edges of media.
The motor support beam is 12 ft. long and 2 ft. above the cut area to increase the chain angle when the sled is at the top of the cutting area and reduce the angle when cutting at the bottom corners.
I used unistrut for the beam as many of you have suggested. However unistrut will bow and twist slightly under load especially with longer lengths so a second piece of unistrut is bolted securely to the first to prevent that distortion as much as possible. The vertical struts that hold the motor beam were also doubled up to stabilize them as well.
As I’ve described before, the top beam is adjustable to align the chain for different thicknesses of material. The frame angle is similarly adjustable. And 4” casters are installed to allow this heavy assembly to be moved easily.
Oh man, it’s so cool to see these frames coming together. Great work, and thank you for sharing. The pictures along the way are really nice because once the final version is there it would be hard to see what is behind the spoil board
Thanks David. I checked the chain path from the position of the motor cog and had clearance up to a couple of inches above the opposite top corner. Originally I had planned to have the vertical top beam supports 10’ apart which proved to cause chain interference. At 8’ apart I think they’ll be fine. I’ll know more when I actually get the motors installed.
I expect to need more chain though. Does anyone have a good source to chain?
Finally got my Unistrut frame built and made my first cut on it today. Works great, and no flexing. Used 1.5 inch PVC pipe to contain the extra chain at the top. And used a pully and weight system to keep the tension on each chain. Upped the power supply to 12v 30 amp, way more than this will ever need, and added a fan to the shield for the additional heat dissipation. Also added a router power control and setup z axis auto zero. Maslow CNC is awesome thanks to everyone who made this happen. Still need to update a few things on the frame, but I am very impressed with the results.
very nice, I like the use of the pvc pipe to guide the slack chain. It seems
like you could you could very easily run the pipe across the top of the top beam
and then have a sweep on the end to guide a weight down on the far side.
I used a large eyebolt at the end of the PVC to guide the rope to a pulley that I got off Amazon. I had not thought about using a sweep.
I also over sized the machine. The top beam is 12 feet long and I surrounded the 4 foot by 8 foot cutting area with a 16 inch surround so that I could add support for the sled if I chose to cut at the edges of the material. The reason I chose to extend the top beam to 12 feet is that I noticed when the sled was at the extreme left and right edge the longer chain was almost slack due to the lack of weight pulling directly on it. The weight was almost completely supported by the shorter chain. With the motors farther apart there is a little more force pulling down on the longer chain when the sled is at the left and right ends of the 4 foot by 8 foot area. This seems to help with sloppy movement near the left and right edges. Of course this also meant that I had to add chain so that the sled could reach.