All set up, will not cut, also connection issues

First, my computer 1/2 the time will not show the correct usb port for connection, just the bluetooth and some ‘fake ports’ with my wifes headphones. if i reset my computer i can get the correct port to pop up and connect.

Second, i have it all setup, i have been able to cut a few things. but all of a sudden i can move the sled around but when i push cut it will not move at all. i have good files that i have already used to cut with.

any help would be amazing

software used?
have you tried a different USB cable?
sorry can’t really think of anything else. maybe post a video?

2 Likes

same issue here. everything worked fine and i was using COMM port 3.
now i only see COMM PORT 4 & 6 which are bluetooth ports?

how can i get webcontrol to see port 3 again?

with windows, when you plug a USB serial device in, it gets the ‘next available’
comm port number. When you properly shutdown and disconnect the USB device, the
port number frees up and can be used the next time you plug the device in. If it
doesn’t get shutdown correctly, then that port will show as ‘in use’ even if you
disconnect the device.

unfortunantly, Windows doesn’t give you any control over this, you need to look
at the device manager list of comm ports before you plugin the device and then
look again after you plug it in and see what is different.

this entire numbering scheme gets reset when you reboot your computer

David Lang

2 Likes

That explains so many things that did not make sense today.
Thank you!
I thought I had been using the same COM PORT3 with my Maslow cnc, then suddenly I only had COM PORT4 & 6 available.

So I would need to disconnect on screen to properly disconnect, correct?

Thanks again.

1 Like

you need to shutdown/disconnect any software that uses the port before you
unplug/power down the device on the port.

David Lang

1 Like

so how do i do that? i thought i could figure it out but so far no luck.

this is whats holding me up now.
created a legacy hardware but everytime it says its cannot find enough free resources. any ideas on free more resources?

what software are you using? ground control? web control? other?

depending on the software, it may have an option to disconnect the machine, or
you may need to completely shutdown the software.

David Lang

1 Like

webcontrol-0.94-win64-singlefile (1)

im also seeing an error at web control startup
" Error checking pyrelease: could not convert string to float: ‘2020-05-26-2021’ "

i saw this in another thread here but i didn’t see the solution.

That version error is looking at the repository for an upgrade. It is not relevant to your connection issue and should not stop full operation.

In webcontrol, go to settings ->Maslow settings then click the double arrows to the right of the co port field to have webcontrol refresh the port list then select one that is available. Typically it is the highest numbered port if on windows, but not always.

There are ways to reassign com ports, but it requires modifying the registry and may not be worth the effort. If the pirg is busy, a reboot will often free it.

1 Like

I’ve been in the registry, and have searched for new hardware, and updated drivers. Attempted a couple legacy hardware adds.
No change.

I can turn on webcontrol and then it loops trying to connect to the com port.
I can see it appear when I plug the cable in, but it can never connect.

Just for context, I had the Maslow running, then i broke a motor cable connection point.
Two weeks later - I install the new motor, all is well. But now it’s like never connected.

If webcontrol is off. Can you open the port with another terminal program like realterm?

1 Like

When i connect a phone or storage device to the port they work automatically.

so the USB ports work. Does the maslow controller talk to another software package? You can open the com port with a program like realterm with the maslow connected to see if it communicates. I have seen some controllers get messed up due to no particular reason. Lets verify the controller is good. If you see a com port show up when you plug it in, this is good. if webcontrol or gorundcontrol won’t talk to it, it may have become corrupt or something else is wrong. lets verify it will talk over that port.

1 Like

so this is first time i have used realterm, but i cannot find the PORT 3 that im looking for.
Webcontrol finds the PORT now in settings, but can never connect.

in Device Manger - the PORT 3 is hidden and grey’ed out

that sounds like the port is busy. In realterm, you can double click on the port drop-down selector and it should refresh the port. If it is greyed out, it may be “busy.” If you move the USB location, will it change port number? double click the realterm selector before you move it and then after and see if you see it change number.

1 Like

Is there anyway I could have deactivated access to the port? or deleted the driver needed for the Arduino controlling the maslow? i feel like i saw one i no longer see in device manager.

to answer your question, realterm looks even more unusual. i can see two ports #4 &5. but the are “BTHModem” ports.
the other ports are listed as “0” or server:telnet
i also see com port 6 sometimes, which is what appears when the maslow is connected. again only sometimes.
i can plug into the same usb port and add files to SD card. it is only when i try to upload via Arduino IDE or Visual Studio that im met with issue.
issue being some kind of failure to communicate with selected port.
its the only available port but still no luck.

im not the greatest with this kind of computer work, but im fairly certain i checked for anything else trying to use the port.

i cant wait to cut with my maslow again lol