Arcade Cabinet Plans

Chickens are pretty awesome!

Having a bad day? Drop some scraps at your feet and watch a chicken run full speed towards you! = #DayInstantlyBetter !

2 Likes

THIS IS WHY MY BOSS AND I ARE INVESTING IN A MASLOW… <3 <3 <3 Can’t wait for the kit to arrive… THANK YOU FOR THIS!

3 Likes

Bob at ILikeToMakeStuff.com has both cabinet and tabletop arcade game console plans on his website. Knowing him and the size of his new basement (although he has a pretty large CNCRouterParts.com CNC), he might even take a dip into the Maslow pool.

2 Likes

Crap, now i’m not gonna be first, i’ve got mine drawn out, buttons and joystick arrived last week, and today the power supply should arrive. Now all i need is some time to install my maslow.

4 Likes

I won’t be finished for at least few days. If you really want to be first, there’s still time! :wink:

1 Like

Part 2 - Apologies for inadvertent visible arse crack.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that these plans are kinda basic and lack a ton of things like pockets and other stuff.

I’ve actually been working on translating the control panels from here and touching them up. It’s pretty time consuming.

I have a lot of four player games that need replacement control panels :frowning:

I am very interested in the arcade cabinet plans and builds as part of the Maslow and plan to purchase one soon. Do you use the Z-axis kit a lot with these plans? Do you feel it is necessary to have the Z-axis add-on to do most of the work related to arcade cabinet plans and builds?
Also, are the plans or programs being used to built these bar top and control panel plans available or shared for those of us that would also like to use them?
Thanks.

you really want to have the Z axis for just about any work you do. Having the
system pause, with the bit spinning against wood can start a fire.

as you are adjusting the knob, you can bump things and cause cuts where you
don’t want them

I think it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Maslow to stop selling the kit without
the Z axis (except possibly for special orders)

2 Likes

I’ll try and do a write up for the community garden and include my svg files once mine is completed. I’m sure there are other plans out there. The ones linked at the top of this thread are useful but didn’t include the control panel, as far as i could see. I designed mine specifically for the dimensions of an old monitor I have and all buttons the same size, where there are usually a couple different sized buttons. The point being you would still likely need to be able to edit any plans for your exact needs.

Definitely go for the z-axis for what dlang said!

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies. I will definitely go with the Z-axis add-on; thank you for the input.

I would love to see the files posted - even if they need to be tweaked somewhat; it would really help those of us trying it for the first time and getting a running start.

KingOfScolboa - have your tried the plans posted on Classicarcadecabinet.com? Those are the plans I have been looking at and would love to use the Maslow to create these cabinet. Any insights into how well these plans translate to the Maslow? Anyone have svg files for any of these cabinets or any full-sized cabinets?

In general - how well does the Maslow do for these types of projects (arcade cabinets)? Is this a sound investment for the purpose of building arcade cabinets?

Thank you!

Is there a ‘s’ missing in the link?

Sorry. That is correct. Classicarcadecabinets.com

The stuff on classic arcade cabinets is MOSTLY correct. A lot of it is based on beat up machines that the guy has had time to take measurements on and redraw.

Some of them are more accurate than others, some are missing control panel stuff. The TMNT and Simpsons/Other are pretty accurate cabinet wise, but there’s little things missing here and there that are necessary for actual construction. The control panels .dxf files are severely lacking in details. Specifically, they’re blanks with nothing for control mounting.

But since I have everything needed to reference all that (i.e. I literally already own these cabinets), I’ve got a couple of SVG files almost ready to be converted to G-Code.

1 Like

That is awesome! So which cabinets specifically will you have g-code for? Would you be willing to share them when completed?
Thanks.

For the actual cabinet question, I’m planning on having Gcode ready to go for both konami 4 player variants, another variant of the 4 player cabinets built to take a 27" open frame LCD, a couple of the Dynamo HS variants (that classic arcade cabinets doesn’t have at all), and I’m eventually going to move into putting together Viewlix clones.

I’m focusing on control panels right now (cabinets will come after that). I’ve got TMNT et. al., 4-player X-Men (I own a six player as well :P), and a bastardized TMNT for four button four player games like Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom and Shadow over Mystara. I may also put together some panels for Midway cabinets.

I’m associated with someone who can print up the graphics files for these as well, which helped with the X-Men panel being wildly different than Konami’s other four player games. I had to manually place the button holes and try to space them properly. That was fun.

I’ll throw up either my .svg’s or some Gcode when I have my Maslow back up and running and can do some test cuts. I dropped a motor and now it just spins and spins.

That is great news! Your list of cabinets is awesome - the four player Konami cabinets are also on my list of wants and the 27" open frame version is a great idea. The Dynamo HS cabinets are great and very flexible in their use with various games. The Viewlix clones are also something I have tried to follow online and see if any “good” plans were available; would be a great options as well. If the Gcode for these cabinets were available for the Maslow - it would really sell me on the unit! Especially if it was very effective in creating them accurately. Please keep me posted on your progress - very exciting.

I wanted to share a bit of the work I’ve gotten done on the control panels really quick:

(Bonus points to everyone who catches the cute bit in the background)
This jig was pretty involved because it needed to be set to Suzo-Happ joystick specifications (these can be found on all the joysticks they offer), so had to generate a process to put the holes exactly where they belong.

Problem is when I cut this out, I was still on a really bad temporary sled and didn’t even realize I was having a Inkscape -> MakerCam issue I still haven’t been able to figure out. Going back through and measuring, literally everything is off.

Luckily, I built in enough tolerance that when I took a stick off of my Super Puzzle Fighter II: Turbo machine and ran the bolts through for testing it all ended up working. I did pocket a bit too deep on this though, most games will only need about 3/8" (.375" or 9.5mm) for pocketing when being done on a 3/4 (.75 or 19.05mm) sheet of wood. I went to about .45, which is fine for being a test jig, but wouldn’t hold up for actual use.

4 Likes

Thanks or pointing out the background. I never would’ve noticed the tiny face hiding in that hammock!

Look even closer. Really look.